Reselling XenForo License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmar

Hi, i am thinking to buy a Used XenForo License from my mate. Is this allowed?

#1. Let's say i am buying a license from a guy i know, it's already been resold twice? Allowed or not?
#2. I buy a license from a guy that have never resold hes license.

Unless, of course, there is a clause that states the terms in the agreement can be modified at any point with or without the licensee being previously informed of it or approving it. Not saying there necessarily is, but there likely could be.
Illegal.
Unfair contract, such a clause would have no legal authority whatsoever.

You cannot ever have a contract in which one party can simply change the rules as it sees fit.

Reactions: Xon
Illegal.
Unfair contract, such a clause would have no legal authority whatsoever.

You cannot ever have a contract in which one party can simply change the rules as it sees fit.
Fair enough, I stand corrected.

The last things Xenforo needs right now is another lawsuit. xD

I'd like to see them try adding such a clause to *existing* licences. They cannot simply unilaterally change a contract (which is what a licence is) without BOTH parties' agreement.

Such changes are disgustingly easy to "force" a user into accepting.

For example, next time you log into customer section to update or download xenforo a "you must agree to the license update to continue" apears. Simples, if you want to get the software you have to accept the updated agreement.

Such changes are disgustingly easy to "force" a user into accepting.

For example, next time you log into customer section to update or download xenforo a "you must agree to the license update to continue" apears. Simples, if you want to get the software you have to accept the updated agreement.
That all depends on how the original licence agreement was worded.

If obtaining that software update was expressly part of the original licence, then forcing a licence holder to agree to new terms to get it would be a breach of the original.

I accept that some companies do do this all the time, but that doesn't make it legal.

That all depends on how the original licence agreement was worded.

If obtaining that software update was expressly part of the original licence, then forcing a licence holder to agree to new terms to get it would be a breach of the original.

I accept that some companies do do this all the time, but that doesn't make it legal.

It would have to be an exceptionally in depth agreement to fall under such a scenario.

As I see it, it is staying with them. A company can appoint anyone it likes to look after its data. The law only provides that they have to treat it in accordance with said law.

Jake could well be an unpaid employee, or he could well be simply someone the company has entrusted to look after their data in certain regards. I doubt there's anything illegal or untoward gone on there.

Well since they are going all strict on their license transfer agreement and stuff they may want to go all strict on their privacy policy.

Xenforo Privacy Policy as of 9/8/2012 said:
XenForo Limited will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your explicit permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you security information, product updates, or other information pertaining to XenForo Limited, or your account.

So unless Jake is either A) a Xenforo Limited employee, or B) the customer has given explicit permission or C) has been required by law; I see no reason Jake or any other moderator would have access to such information.

Really the community here is starting to turn toxic again from the lack of updates with substance, future plans (any plans) etc from Kier, Ashley or Mike. Yeah I know Ashley posted a thread the other week, but really it just said "Hey don't expect much from us for at least 4 more months if ever again. Send financial help quick" (paraphrase d of course)

I don't see how you could not see.

The only way you have right to see our information is if you have an agreement with Xenforo Ltd. as their employee. Otherwise , allowing you to view customer information is clearly violating customer privacy rights. As without any agreement , you can easily make profit from our information. That's the main reason why information should be kept private.

If you don't have have any agreement which both you and Slavik stated you are volunteer so you should not reach any customer information at all.

I strongly advise you and Slavik to watch what you guys are posting in behalf of Xenforo Ltd.

The only way you have right to see our information is if you have an agreement with Xenforo Ltd. as their employee. Otherwise , allowing you to view customer information is clearly violating customer privacy rights. As without any agreement , you can easily make profit from our information. That's the main reason why information should be kept private.

If you don't have have any agreement which both you and Slavik stated you are volunteer so you should not reach any customer information at all.

I strongly advise you and Slavik to watch what you guys are posting in behalf of Xenforo Ltd.
Agree with all of this, *except* you don't specifically have to be an employee in order to access the data. Not under UK law at least. the onus is upon the data controller (XenForo Ltd) to exercise due diligence in who they provide that data to. They can't just share it with anyone.

Jake will likely be considered in law to be an unpaid employee or contractor, whether he actually is one or not.

Does everyone just keep adding to this to keep an argument going? :confused: People are not happy unless their is continual conflict. With absolutely ANYTHING at all.

Indeed.

XenForo is, and has always been, fully compliant with all aspects of the ICO Data Protection Act Requirements.

If you have a concern that this may have been violated I suggest you create a support ticket or use the contact form stating which aspects you feel warrent investigation. For your reference the official guidance can be found here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom