1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reselling XenForo License?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by mcmar, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcmar

mcmar New Member

Hi, i am thinking to buy a Used XenForo License from my mate. Is this allowed?

#1. Let's say i am buying a license from a guy i know, it's already been resold twice? Allowed or not?
    #2. I buy a license from a guy that have never resold hes license.

2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Licenses are eligible to be transferred 120 days after the purchase, must be active and not have been transferred previously.

Therefore: #1: Would not be eligible.
    #2 would be eligible as long as the license is active.

3. mcmar

mcmar New Member

Thank you for confirming my questions. I was about to get scammed ;-)

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Consider too... it could be worth the extra money to buy a full license for the sheer fact you can resell it later yourself and make some of the money back, with these second hand license's you're stuck.

Steve F likes this.
  5. mcmar

mcmar New Member

I don't have $140... I got $80. Altso mailed for support earlier, but never recived answer.

6. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

deleted

7. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

http://xenforo.com/license-agreement/

8. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

deleted

9. Jake Bunce

Probably to reduce the occurrence of chargebacks after a transfer.

I don't know about that new EU law.

10. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

deleted

11. Slavik

Disclaimer: I will verify this so do not take it as fact for the time being.

The ruling was a very specific one on software that was provided for unlimited use. However your XenForo license is a limited use license, and so does not fall under this ruling.

12. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

deleted

Brett Peters likes this.
  13. Slavik

Again this is not official, but is probably accurate:

It may very well be simply that we cannot oppose the sale of the software, however it does not stipulate we have to support it, meaning even if you sold the license, we do not have to do a customer to customer transfer so the license would forever be in your name, something I imagine most people would not be happy about. In addition support and updates are granted on a yearly basis, so it would render any license sold beyond the 1 approved transfer inelligible for updates.

However it may just be that we alter the Xenforo license agreement to stipulate a time limit on the validity period of a license.

For all intents and purposes, at this moment in time you should consider we will only continue to support 1 official XenForo approved transfer from customer to customer.

14. Slavik

Here is a good section explaining the updates part.

15. Slavik

This section may apply to the 1 years access up updates and support.

As the license you purchase comes with limited support and updates (1 year) and you are not allowed to divide parts of the license up (granted the difference is between "number of users") however the key point I think would be your XenForo license does not only grant you access to the software, it includes updates and support on a limited basis. It may be a loophole that as your license has to be linked to a XenForo customer account providing these services that this causes the sale of only part of the license to nullify the requirement to sell it.

16. Brett Peters

Brett Peters Well-Known Member

As it stands I am now confused reading this thread, Dont suppose we can stop the back and forth guessing and have the Business Guy formally answer this in due time ?

17. Jake Bunce

Good idea. :D

I will ask him to respond to this thread.

Brett Peters likes this.
  18. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

deleted

19. Ashley

Ashley Business Guy Staff Member

The starting point for XenForo is for a clear and simple process, which is what we have in place. We intend to keep the existing process as this would be simpler than changing the licensing to a more (unsatisfactory, in my view) lease like arrangement or introducing transfer fee, something we have tried to avoid.

CyclingTribe likes this.
  20. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

deleted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.