Requirements

Veer

Hello devs,

As you mentioned there is an additional requirement of MySQLi for XenForo to be installed. I'm really feeling very bad that my host is not installing it for me, they said they have 500 clients and no one demands MySQLi support, this is only you. If you need it for your own hosting upgrade to VPS or dedicated server.

I already paid my host for two years of hosting and I can't leave them also can't afford VPS or dedicated server. So why did you require extra server resources? my vbulletin installation is working just fine without mySQLi. why there is not an alternative solution? :(

Thanks anyway.

I don't know but what can I do if my host is not giving me support for this?
I used "extra" word because biggest forum software like vb, IPB can be installed without MySQLi, why not xenforo? there should be requirements as minimum as possible.

I don't know but what can I do if my host is not giving me support for this?
I used "extra" word because biggest forum software like vb, IPB can be installed without MySQLi, why not xenforo? there should be requirements as minimum as possible.
mysqli doesn't require any additional resources. It's simply a php module. As far as why can XF work like VB..it's simple. XF isn't VB at all. It's going to have it's own requirements(mysqli is actually pretty standard).

It's like hosts that still run PHP 4 only, there's no reason they shouldn't have PHP 5. Having MySQLi installed shouldn't be an unusual thing to ask for. It's nothing big or extravagant but is better than standard MySQL. I've not looked at the code but it may be required by XenForo for prepared queries (if it uses them).

http://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.overview.php

What is PHP's mysqli Extension?
The mysqli extension, or as it is sometimes known, the MySQL improved extension, was developed to take advantage of new features found in MySQL systems versions 4.1.3 and newer. The mysqli extension is included with PHP versions 5 and later.
The mysqli extension has a number of benefits, the key enhancements over the mysql extension being:
  • Object-oriented interface
  • Support for Prepared Statements
  • Support for Multiple Statements
  • Support for Transactions
  • Enhanced debugging capabilities
  • Embedded server support
Note:
If you are using MySQL versions 4.1.3 or later it is strongly recommended that you use this extension.

This is another reason why it's not a good idea to buy hosting for months/years in advance, especially two years, as you're locked in if you don't want to waste money.

I'm perplexed as to why your host won't install MySQLi. If they are that unwilling, I'd demand a refund and go elsewhere. Compiling with MySQLi support takes like 10 minutes tops...

Unless of course you are running a site with hundreds of thousands of lines of code all built using mysql extension, but surprise surprise, the mysqli extension can't be installed simultaneously with mysql. Seriously. I was ready to pull out my cc and use your software until I found out this requirement was incompatible with our system. Since we run our own colocated servers with millions of users, we won't be throwing them away to support your $200 forum software.

The rest of the world has to support their existing software and technology infrastructure. They can't throw them away just because you want them to, and the advice to do so (above) is certainly unhelpful. It definitely doesn't fall into the class of "support". Nice to know also that if I purchased, I would be abandoned as soon as technology turned.

Oh yeah, so obviously hosting providers all won't install it because they have to support their clients using the mysql extension, since they conflict. Not sure why they have to conflict though.

The rest of the world has to support their existing software and technology infrastructure. They can't throw them away just because you want them to, and the advice to do so (above) is certainly unhelpful. It definitely doesn't fall into the class of "support". Nice to know also that if I purchased, I would be abandoned as soon as technology turned.
Uh, for one, mysqli can be installed simultaneously with mysql. Second, do you expect the developers to throw their code and better performance away because your infrastructure is dated? Third, this is not "as soon as technology turned," I have been using mysqli for 5+ years. And if technology turned again I don't think XenForo would adopt it until their current customers do.

If you want to run modern software you will need a modern infrastructure. If you have to run an older infrastructure, fine, but you shouldn't expect to use modern software. And any modern software should be making use of mysqli by now.

Edit: Just checked my production server, both mysql and mysqli are loaded, and I've never had to deal with any conflicts because of it.
Capture.webp

Top Bottom