Implemented Report Centre - Notification of new replies?

CTXMedia

Is there any way of visually indicating a new reply to a report? Or maybe all mods & admins getting an alert when a new reply is made in the Report Centre?

Mods are not seeing responses in the Report Centre simply because they don't check it every 15 mins. or so (they want to use the forums, not spend their time flipping back and forth to the Report Centre) and they don't get any form of notification or visual aid to help them identify that there has been a response.

Previously when reports were posted as threads into a forum it wasn't a problem as they could "see" that new replies had been made in the mods forum and we had much better communication between us and quicker responses to on-going issues - but that has been quite stilted since moving to XF and continues to be a problem.

Have any of you managed to find a way around this at all?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
We're finding this is problematic too, Clickfinity. The report centre seems a great idea on paper but we prefer a system where a report generates a forum post (in a moderator/staff forum). Not only does this better show mods if there are replies, especially if it's resolved and closed, but it keeps a good record of previous reports that are easily browsable and searchable. With the current system, we're finding that we often want to manually start a thread in the staff forum so we can discuss it, so we end up duplicating work and making the whole process longer. Reports as forum posts, for example, can be pinned.

The report centre in Xenforo is one of those ideas that probably seemed brilliant on paper but in a real world setting doesn't work quite so well. For example the lack of emails to admin/mods on a report is a startling oversight, people don't spend 24/7 on their forums and an email notification to all mods when someone reports something is the best way to get a quick response from any mod that happens to see the email. Yes, I have fixed that with a mod to generate an email, but I still needed to manually hack it to include the info about the report.

I really wish these usability issues could have been taken on board and fixed by now. Another good example is the terrible moderation queue. It doesn't even tell you what forum the post was in, or link to it. So when you have multiple sub-forums and people are posting in the wrong place, it's a PITA to manually go and find the topic and make sure it's in the right place.

I am planning on converting an IPS board over to XEN in the next couple of weeks and have been looking up the issues I am having with IPS to see if they will be issues here as well. It seems that is would be one of those issues.

I agree that a thread based system is FAR better for several reasons.

I've developed this feature for my own forum - what it does is send alerts to anyone who has previously commented on a particular report saying something like 'Jeremy P has commented on a report.', obviously linking back to the report.

I had done this very early on - perhaps a year and a half ago, but I would say it has certainly helped out with staff communication.

Thanks - I'll give that a try. (y)

I'd still like to see something done in the core product though to improve notification or offer the option of having reports directed to a forum thread! :D

I paid to have this coded and released for free to xenforo members http://xenforo.com/community/resources/create-thread-on-reported-content.714/

And i use it at all my forums

To update on this, I have installed your plugin and it's brilliant. It's so much better to have a thread to work on with reports.

For some reason I am unable to review or rate your plugin, despite being a licence holder and having downloaded it. Otherwise I would have given it a 5 star.

I've developed this feature for my own forum - what it does is send alerts to anyone who has previously commented on a particular report saying something like 'Jeremy P has commented on a report.', obviously linking back to the report.

I had done this very early on - perhaps a year and a half ago, but I would say it has certainly helped out with staff communication.
Can you please share your add-on with the community? I really need this feature :)

Can you please share your add-on with the community? I really need this feature :)
I have a bunch of stuff I coded for my own forum that I'm going to be releasing soon. I coded this into a central addon for my forum so I'll need to split it into it's own addon, but I have no problem releasing it.

I'm very forgetful though so no ETA, feel free to remind me if I don't follow through soon.

At the moment, with my site's present staff coverage, this hasn't been a problem. However, emails should have been a feature that was there already - it's already included with the Conversations feature, which is a toolkit I think has been really well thought-out, so the fact it was missed startles me.

I am amazingly impressed at how well the XenForo community has banded together to "bolster" these features with the lack of any significant development - we all know and understand the reasons behind their absence, but the fact that the community strives-on here amazes me.

Top Bottom