XF 1.4 Removing Super Moderator

Trix

Hey there, i have a list of 'Super Moderators' and some of these guys haven't been online in years, so i want to remove them from being a moderator, and back to a regular member.

On the list of Moderators in the admin cp, i can click the red x next to their name to remove them. The wording isn't too clear though on whether this just revokes their moderator permissions, and puts them back as a regular member, Or whether it removes them from the site entirely and all of their content.

Any help and advice would be great, thanks :)

You need to demote them (which you have done) and also reset any permissions you granted them.
That may mean downgrading a user upgrade, removing from additional user groups and resetting user permissions.

I visited one members profile, and i changed his main user group to 'member'. When i visited the 'moderators' link in the admin cp, which lists all the moderators, they were still there showing as a super moderator.

Do i need to go onto that page and click the red x next to their name instead? Will that just demote them to a registered user? Or will it actually delete their whole account?

Thanks!

**** Change this wording! **** There are two ways to take the concept of "Delete". It looks like it's going to delete their user account from the wording.

Confirm Deletion of Super Moderator
Please confirm that you want to delete the following super moderator: XXXXXXX

**** Change this wording! **** There are two ways to take the concept of "Delete". It looks like it's going to delete their user account from the wording.

The wording is perfectly clear. It's asking if you want to delete the moderator, not the account.

I agree, it is misleading. Before using that feature I tested it on my test forum as the wording definitely implies that the moderator will be deleted, as opposed to the member's status as moderator being revoked.

I love it when it's so clear that I'm correct. :-)

That's not the point, it was ambiguous on the previous screen.

You can "Delete..." a user and remove them from the website/database.

upload_2014-12-31_17-7-20.webp

Or you can "Delete..." a moderator and just remove the moderator status from a specific user, but not delete their account from the website/database.

upload_2014-12-31_17-9-57.webp

Seriously?

The word "Moderator" is a homonym, that's the issue. The first time that I ever needed to demote a user from moderator status down to regular user status, I went into User > Moderators and next to the moderator's name is a red X that says "Delete..." on the pop-up.

How was I supposed to know, again having been my first time on that page when I was looking to demote someone, that clicking the X didn't delete the user account right then and there? It's an X with the pop-up "Delete..."

Delete what? Delete the user right then and there? Delete the Moderator status? Delete from the database with no possibility to restore? Soft-Delete so I can restore later if I want?

Just says "Delete..."

If my goal is to remove a member to non-moderator status, and you believe that's what people want to accomplish ... then I think that it's pretty vague.

After the overlay comes up, then we're talking about something else. However, if this action removes the status of moderator from the user's account, but doesn't delete the user's account, then saying that would be what I would have done in the documentation because I take into considerations like this.

I mean what page are you on. You're on the moderator page. There's only so much explaining. If you want to clarify to the last character, we can clarify the entire XenForo software. It's self explanatory, and if it isn't for some people a little experiment can't hurt.

I mean what page are you on. You're on the moderator page. There's only so much explaining. If you want to clarify to the last character, we can clarify the entire XenForo software. It's self explanatory, and if it isn't for some people a little experiment can't hurt.
Which is why I experimented on my test forum as I was worried a user might become deleted. In this. Awe the word "delete" is the wrong word, simple as that. However it's no big deal as in the end it won't cause any harm because no user actually does get deleted.

Those who believe this is an issue might do better if they post a suggestion about changing the text. If the developers agree they will then change it :)

Seriously?

Delete what? Delete the user right then and there? Delete the Moderator status? Delete from the database with no possibility to restore? Soft-Delete so I can restore later if I want?

Just says "Delete..."

If my goal is to remove a member to non-moderator status, and you believe that's what people want to accomplish ... then I think that it's pretty vague.
The way I look at it, those are NOT users nor user goups, they are privilege levels. You grant an existing user additional privileges by placing them in those areas and to remove those privileges you delete them. Would it make sense for the phrase to be revoke? That probably would be a better wording - and I don't know if there has been a suggestion for that in the suggestions area or not.

Would it make sense for the phrase to be revoke?
Absolutely more sense
Those who believe this is an issue might do better if they post a suggestion about changing the text.

It would just be another suggestion shot down in flames by people who don't understand those who are less intuitive, psychic, technically minded or experienced with software.

It would just be another suggestion shot down in flames by people who don't understand those who are less intuitive, psychic, technically minded or experienced with software
Well if you don't suggest then it's unlikely to get changed. Shame, although I casn live with the current wording I'd have supported a suitable alternative phasing.

Top Bottom