XF 2.2 Why is "Post New Thread" not a super moderator checkbox?

Monkeytime

I have changed the privilege "Post New Thread" from the default Yes to No under the Registered user group.

I was expecting the default super admin or super moderator accounts would be able to create new threads, but I had to make a new user group with that specific privilege changed to Yes. After looking at all the checkboxes in the super moderator section, the skill "post new thread" is not one of the options under the list of Forum privileges. I don't understand this. Shouldn't that privilege be a checkbox there along with all the other checkboxes? If not, what is the reasoning (only so I understand the mindset better). Thank you.

1703965506255.webp

Solution
If not, what is the reasoning (only so I understand the mindset better)
The reasoning is that by default, most forums allow users to post threads. It is just the nature of discussion forums so the example where only super moderators can post a thread is probably very rare and not taken into account as a normal thing when creating the software. Just guessing.
Further, what is the difference between adding a Super Moderator by pointing to an existing username, and then on the next screen choosing all the checkboxes).

Versus

Customizing a specific user and checking YES to everything going down the page?

It seems the above two mechanisms are essentially doing the same thing visually. One is checkboxes, and another is changing No to Yes.

Is there some back end differences between these two paths?

Posting a new thread isn't a moderator specific permission - it's a regular user permission.

If the moderator has global permissions then it's far easier to set them as a super moderator rather than on a per forum basis.

If not, what is the reasoning (only so I understand the mindset better)
The reasoning is that by default, most forums allow users to post threads. It is just the nature of discussion forums so the example where only super moderators can post a thread is probably very rare and not taken into account as a normal thing when creating the software. Just guessing.

Solution
Top Bottom