Removing/changing the search icon from the search bar

vexx

Hey guys,

I want to customize a bit the search field from the navbar and while I found everything I need to modify, I can't seem the find that small magnifying glass icon from the start of the search field.

can you guys throw me a hint? tnx alot

so isn't there a function that calls it? so I can delete it and build another one via css?

sorry for all these questions Brogan...i'm new to XF and tnx for the help btw :)

There is no function that calls it.

It is automatically added by HTML5. It isn't generated by XenForo. It's entirely a browser thing. It is not removable via CSS.

ah..understood. ok then, I have a final question. I wanted to replicate the search bar in XF to the WP installation I use as CMS for XF..so now my quest is to find this search icon..I looked it up on iconfinder but with no luck (or maybe I didn't see it). Is there any way I can find this icon?

tnx alot guys..really appreciate it

Actually you can remove the icon by changing the type of the input.

Instead of:
Code:
type="search"

use

Code:
type="text"
Whereas this is correct, you may end up with styling issues.

The best solution is to remove:

Code:
results="0"

But, in terms of customising it, this cannot be done. Removing it is possible this way... but is it worth it?

ah..understood. ok then, I have a final question. I wanted to replicate the search bar in XF to the WP installation I use as CMS for XF..so now my quest is to find this search icon..I looked it up on iconfinder but with no luck (or maybe I didn't see it). Is there any way I can find this icon?

tnx alot guys..really appreciate it
The element for the search box will look something like this:

Code:
<input type="text" name="search" id="search" class="search_box" />

Change the type attribute to "search" and add a results attribute with a value of "0", e.g.

Code:
<input type="search" results="0" name="search" id="search" class="search_box" />

(This is just an example, not necessarily a suggestion to replace the entire WordPress search input box)

however, it seems that's only valid in Chrome...Firefox doesn't see this at all. I know that's a bit offtopic..but is there any fix/tweak for FF?

however, it seems that's only valid in Chrome...Firefox doesn't see this at all. I know that's a bit offtopic..but is there any fix/tweak for FF?
No. It's very very browser specific.

It will only work in certain browsers. Webkit browsers such as Chrome and Safari will see it. Other browsers won't.

Top Bottom