remove help from Navbar into footer / move username from to help-position

erich37

I am wondering how to remove the "Help" section from the Navbar and put it into the footer.

Then putting the Username (which is the drop-down at the top-right) into the position where we have the Help-section.

I am wondering how this would look like and whether this would give a better understanding for the user to navigate XenForo ?

I think having the "Help"-Tab is not so important to have it prominently sitting in the Navbar.....

This is what it'll look like:

4fa8b48ecd4243a9bee938e.png

I think the problem, as outlined by the source code, is that by having the user drop-down in that position it's mixing up the user-specific stuff and the public stuff.

Left tabs - all public tabs, viewable by guests and members
Right tabs - private tabs, viewable only by logged-in users

I think the problem, as outlined by the source code, is that by having the user drop-down in that position it's mixing up the user-specific stuff and the public stuff.

Left tabs - all public tabs, viewable by guests and members
Right tabs - private tabs, viewable only by logged-in users
hm, not all left tabs are always public..
Example:
admins.webp
guests.webp
The right side includes IMHO the "private stuff" (user related stuff), but i like the idea of moving the help to footer. (as you see on the screenshot, i've removed it completely for me because it's unnecessary)

To remove the help tab in the navi:
open template navigation
add at top:
Code:
<xen:set var="$tabs.help">0</xen:set>
(does anybody know, if it woult be possible to do this with an code event?)

To add it to the footer:
Use the template hook footer_links or footer_links_legal to add it without any template changes

How did you made this?

That's something similar, what we also want to do http://xenforo.com/community/threads/style-problem.10040/
Edited logo_block:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}">
<link rel="xenforo_template" type="text/html" href="navigation_visitor_tab.html" />
<xen:else />
<div style="height:27px;">&nbsp;</div>
</xen:if>

And then rewrote navigation_visitor_tab.

Ignore the else statement, its there for something else later on.

hm, not all left tabs are always public..
Example:
View attachment 13110
View attachment 13111
The right side includes IMHO the "private stuff" (user related stuff), but i like the idea of moving the help to footer. (as you see on the screenshot, i've removed it completely for me because it's unnecessary)
The add-ons is a custom tab by yourself. In the default XF install, all of the tabs on the left are public and that's the point I was making ;)

how do I move the "Help"-Tab into the footer ?

So that the "Smilies" and "BB Code" and "Trophies" will still be accessible ?
You will have to replicate the nav bar code to get the dropdown menu working there.

I'm not sure it will work particularly well though.

You would be better off just having standard links.

is it possible to link from the footer to this page:

http://xenforo.com/community/help/

and have the sub-sections "Smilies", "BB-Code" and "Trophies" still working ?

No need for the drop-down as such.....

But I am not sure whether this will work when switching the languages as I do have several languages installed..... ?

The help sections are part of the help page so just having a single link to the main help page is fine.

You don't need individual links to each section, removing them won't remove those sections.

The Terms and Rules link in the bottom right hand corner for example is a single link to a section of the help page.

many thanks Brogan!

do you know what is the best way to replace the "Terms and Rules" link in the footer with the main "Help" link ?
With main "Help" link I mean this: http://xenforo.com/community/help/

This would be the best solution for me, as the "Terms and Rules" is anyway already included in the main "Help" link.

But I would need it working that way, so when you switch from one language into another, that it still works.....

Open the footer template and replace this:
Code:
<xen:if is="{$tosUrl}"><li><a href="{$tosUrl}">{xen:phrase terms_and_rules}</a></li></xen:if>

With this:
Code:
<li><a href="{xen:link 'help/'}">{xen:phrase help}</a></li>

does anybody know how to change the position of the "Account Tab" to the position where we have the "Help Tab" by default?
And also change the way the drop-down is displayed (so that the drop-down-box opens to the right hand side) ?

Probably also moving the Tabs "Inbox" and "Alerts" from right to the left would be great to know how to do this.

To remove the help tab in the navi:
open template navigation
add at top:
Code:
<xen:set var="$tabs.help">0</xen:set>

this hack does not work, as it removes the subnav-bar, meaning the style of the subnav-bar disappears when going to the URL "domain.com/help" in the footer.

does anybody know how to change the position of the "Account Tab" to the position where we have the "Help Tab" by default?
And also change the way the drop-down is displayed (so that the drop-down-box opens to the right hand side) ?

Probably also moving the Tabs "Inbox" and "Alerts" from right to the left would be great to know how to do this.
There's really no simple way to do this, you're talking about a serious and extensive template modification - I'd suggest that this is something best approached with a complete custom style.

hmmm... did not think moving a few tabs from right to left is a serious modification.
I will leave it as it is by default, am too afraid of breaking anything.

Thanks for your feedback!

Erich,

Create a child style of your current style and play around with the navigation template to create what you wish. Don't be afraid of getting your handy dirty - that's why the revert function was invented!

Top Bottom