1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rejoining a conversation you have left

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by lazy llama, Jan 24, 2012.

1. lazy llama

lazy llama Well-Known Member

Is there any way to rejoin a conversation which you have left and selected the "no responses" option?

Some of our users use conversations as an informal private thread, but want to stop receiving responses when they are away on holiday etc. If they leave, as far as I can see, there's no way back in, other than by me changing their status directly in the database.

I guess they should just turn their notifications off while they're away but I wouldn't have thought being able to rejoin a conversation would be a completely unusual thing.

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You'd have to manipulate the database directly.

3. lazy llama

Thanks, Mike.
    Will removing the relevant recipient row from xf_conversation_recipient and reducing the recipient_count in the xf_conversation_master be sufficient?

4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

This is the code for leaving a conversation:

XenForo_Model_Conversation::deleteConversationForUser

It updates the xf_conversation_recipient record and deletes the xf_conversation_user record.

If no one else is left in the conversation then it deletes these records by conversation_id:

xf_conversation_master
    xf_conversation_message
    xf_conversation_recipient
    xf_conversation_user

It also updates alerts and inbox counters, but those are less important.

CritiKiL likes this.
  5. lazy llama

Thanks, Jake.
    I'll have a look at the code to double check but it sounds like the bits I did should sort it out cleanly.

<wonder if there's some scope for an add-on in this area>

6. CritiKiL

CritiKiL Active Member

Jake, can you help me with how to use this? I never knew that we could not delete Conversations and most who use it on my forum do not know how, or would be too lazy to remove themselves. Also, there was a conversation started which has grown 'legs' and has a mind of it's own and it's distracting the normal functions of the forum. I would like to be able to either manually or automatically remove such 'started' convo's ;-)

7. Jake Bunce

Run these queries to manually delete a conversation from the database (you need to specify the conversation_id):

Code:
    DELETE
    FROM xf_conversation_master
    WHERE conversation_id = 7;

DELETE
    FROM xf_conversation_message

DELETE
    FROM xf_conversation_recipient

DELETE
    FROM xf_conversation_user

8. CritiKiL

CritiKiL Active Member

Ok, but I've never run a querie so who do I do that exactly? Thanks in advance...

9. Jake Bunce

You have a CPanel server which will have phpmyadmin preinstalled. You can run queries in there. Click the SQL tab inside of phpmyadmin.

CritiKiL likes this.
  10. CritiKiL

CritiKiL Active Member

Oh ok! Gotcha ;-)

11. CritiKiL

CritiKiL Active Member

12. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

Did you choose your database first?

Click on your Database and then the SQL tab. Then enter the queries...

(based on your error, no database selected)

13. CritiKiL

CritiKiL Active Member

Haha...hold on ;-)

14. CritiKiL

CritiKiL Active Member

Works now. THANKS for being patient Jake and ENF.

15. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

CritiKiL likes this.
  16. ragtek

ragtek Guest

no

the id is ONLY 118 and not team.118

CritiKiL likes this.
  17. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Could this be done as an add-on?

nukedi likes this.
  18. CritiKiL

CritiKiL Active Member

I currently have an addon which allows you to 'see all convos' and delete them one by one. It works great and I apologize that I don't remember the name of it. Hold on...

Jake Bunce likes this.
  19. CritiKiL

CritiKiL Active Member

In this pic, the 'See All Conversations' is available in my profile (if person is granted permissions) and you can only SEE and DELETE any conversations whether you are in them or not. It's sneaky but it's what an ADMIN needs to have:

seeallconvos.PNG

Here in the "HEY!" conversation, I am not included but at the top-right you can see that I can delete it if I wanted to:

seeallconvos1.PNG

I changed the name of the addon but it's real name is: "[tLk] ReadPC" ;-)

Jake Bunce likes this.
  20. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I didn't know you could delete pms in that addon. It would take too long doing it that way though.

Lets say I had some addon that sent 'Welcome PMs to each new user' but all the information in that welcome pm is no longer relevant and I do not want them to read that pm especially if it was a mistake. So what if I wanted to just delete every PM that a certain member or member group had, like noobs for instance.