Lack of interest Register with FB, Twitter etc. - make it easier.

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

snoopy5

Hi

i currently use XF1.5x and just start to use the social media register/login options. What I find strange is that with facebook registration the FB username is not automatically inserted and with twitter even not the email address.

what kind of sense does this feature make, if the user has to type in again this stuff? it is the same effort like a normal registration. usrrs will be angry. they have first to login into their FB account to be then forced to enter again a username? Really?

So please change this. This social media registration/login only makes sense, if the user does not have to type again this information. It shall make registration easier, not more complicated!

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Historically Twitter didn't provide email addresses, so that's why we need to ask. I believe it is possible to request one now, but it's a separate permission which means transitioning is difficult (as it will prompt existing users on login, which isn't desired).

In terms of the username though, we did populate this in the past and it caused quite a lot of confusion and user name change requests.

Historically Twitter didn't provide email addresses, so that's why we need to ask. I believe it is possible to request one now, but it's a separate permission which means transitioning is difficult (as it will prompt existing users on login, which isn't desired).

It is, you just have to request permission for it explicitly in the twitter oauth app you create (which requires you to set the privacy policy and terms URL's).

Liam

Twitter didn't provide email addresses,

is there a way to check any kind of changes regarding this on a regular basis (i.e. every 3 months) for the top 4 social media sites and adapt xenforo accordingly with small updates?

In terms of the username though, we did populate this in the past and it caused quite a lot of confusion and user name change requests.

I would prefer to have later on username-change request from real new users instead of no new users ;)

I am currently REALLY nervous because of the newest activities of Facebook regarding forums and want to make sure to get as many FB etc. users into my forums as long as Facebooks forums are not yet well established...

Taking the Facebook username increases username change requests scares users away, having the user input a username increases abortion rate.

So what to do?

Ideally I think the registration process should complete without the user having to enter a username, but it should provide an option to change it immediately after the registration process has been completed.
This way the onboarding process is easy and it should not generate too many support requests.

This is what I have done on vBulletin and it works really great.

Top Bottom