Reg. confirmation msgs marked as SPAM

JoeRice

I've recently set up a new install of Xenforo and one problem I can't seem to fix is that Registration Confirmation emails are being marked as SPAM by Gmail.

All other emails are coming though just fine - conversations replies, watched threads, etc.

Registration confirmation messages get put in the SPAM folder with this header:
upload_2017-5-21_14-34-35.webp
which implies to me that it has to do with the content of the message rather than anything to do with the header.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Joe Rice

Saw that but seems that those all deal with the source of the emails being the problem. Wouldn't that mean none of the emails would come through?
Some services (but not many) are more lax. If you don't have what is given in that guide at a minimum you will have issues with most of the major ones.
Hotmail even is pickier and takes even more work.
In addition you will probably need an SPF DNS entry and DKIM signing enabled.

Last edited:
RESOLVED - switched to Gmail mail server and all seems good. Thanks all for the help.

You're sending your website emails directly via Gmail?

Have you checked what the sending limits are for Gmail? They aren't very high (although a new site without much traffic or many members probably won't hit those limits for a while).

Gmail isn't intended for bulk outbound emails from a web server.

You should be using an outbound ESP (Email Service Provider) such as SparkPost; SendGrid; Amazon SES; MailGun.

You will need both DKIM and SPF set up for your domain - your ESP will be able to help with this.

Reactions: Xon
You're sending your website emails directly via Gmail?

Have you checked what the sending limits are for Gmail? They aren't very high (although a new site without much traffic or many members probably won't hit those limits for a while).

Gmail isn't intended for bulk outbound emails from a web server.

You should be using an outbound ESP (Email Service Provider) such as SparkPost; SendGrid; Amazon SES; MailGun.

You will need both DKIM and SPF set up for your domain - your ESP will be able to help with this.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the heads-up.

On a typical day we're sending less than 200 a day I would guess - so our demands are pretty low. This page gives some info for regular G Suite accounts but we're using 'G Suite for Non-profits' so I'll just have to dig a bit deeper.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2956491#sendinglimitsforrelay

Top Bottom