Implemented Redactor Jquery editor instead of Tinymce

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The cost for a software distributor to include Redactor in it's distributable product is a one time fee of $399, for unlimited distribution's. Hardly a huge investment for XF, with as many licenses as they sell. What is that?...(3) XF licenses, for virtually unlimited redistribution rights to incorporate Redactor into their core software? Looks like a pretty fair deal.

After playing around with Redactor I would love for xF to ship with this. I think it would make xF that much ahead of everyone else. The inline image resize that melbo mentioned is freaking awesome.

Xenforo wanted CKEditor .. but backed out when it had bugs. CKEditor is not Open Source.
It is opensource.

If its that big of an issue... I am certain 10 people throwing in $50 to get that accomplished would not be a problem at all. Hehe.
Yeah, why not?

One issue that I can think of with Redactor straight away is that is it doesn't support BBCode.

After playing around with Redactor I would love for xF to ship with this. I think it would make xF that much ahead of everyone else. The inline image resize that melbo mentioned is freaking awesome.

Never heard of Redactor... after Alfa's suggestion I checked it out also and wow:
Personally I don't have much problems with the current Xenforo editor (but I seem to be in the minority ;)), other then pressing 'Insert/edit link' seems to be quite slow. However the above listed 3 points are (at least for me/my platform) very welcome features I would love to be able to use in Xenforo if I ever switch to it. (I am actually still not using Xenforo on any of my projects).

They have interesting plugins, http://imperavi.com/redactor/docs/plugins/:

----
Fullscreen
The "fullscreen" mode is now a plugin on the toolbar to toggle full-window editing on and off.

Clips
Adds a drop-down list of pre-defined "clips" (or "snips") that you can create to save time, such as intro or footer text.
----

Very interesting, as I was always looking for my Mods to have ready-made text-snippets for them, so that they can just press a dropdown and select a canned response to yet again a member who is posting unwanted advertisements. Clips like that would come in soooo handy, making life on the forum for my Mods considerably easier and fun.

They have interesting plugins, http://imperavi.com/redactor/docs/plugins/:

----
Fullscreen
The "fullscreen" mode is now a plugin on the toolbar to toggle full-window editing on and off.

Clips
Adds a drop-down list of pre-defined "clips" (or "snips") that you can create to save time, such as intro or footer text.
----

Very interesting, as I was always looking for my Mods to have ready-made text-snippets for them, so that they can just press a dropdown and select a canned response to yet again a member who is posting unwanted advertisements. Clips like that would come in soooo handy, making life on the forum for my Mods considerably easier and fun.

I like the "air editor" setting personally.

TinyMCE is obviously the most popular plugin, used even by XenForo but CKEditor is a big project and CKEditor seems more feature full. On the positive, it's far more consistent but bug-free than TinyMCE. CKEditor is very stable, very easy to use and has integrated the file manager. For example, I really like CKEditor's autogrow feature.

I was able to integrate CKEditor on a test dev.
Lacking experience in CKeditor, I was unable to add extra tags/smilies support.
I'm willing to work with someone if they are up for it.

Top Bottom