Recent activity link

I completely agree. It's very hidden and I've mentioned this before myself. I wouldn't mind logged in users actually being presented with the activity feed when they first browse to the site. Make it more Facebook like. Obviously, this doesn't work for every site so could be an option. But something should be done.

I've been a member since 2010 and very active looking for bugs the past couple of weeks and in all that time I've only now stumbled across this useful feed.

Personally I would make a change myself however I feel it may be beneficial for xenforo overall to have that link in a more seen place.

Been using it since day one.

The first thing I did when I registered was explore the whole site, clicking on every link on every page to see what they did.

Been using it since day one.

The first thing I did when I registered was explore the whole site, clicking on every link on every page to see what they did.

This.

I use it also.

It could be located in a more accessible place, but you can do that yourself with a template edit so this isn't much of an issue.

This.

I use it also.

It could be located in a more accessible place, but you can do that yourself with a template edit so this isn't much of an issue.
Sure, and you can say that for just about any such changes, but for some (many?) forum owners that might be too complicated. I think this feature could be really important to more social / chat-oriented forums, so it would be nice if there was a config option in the Admin CP to give this link a more prominent location.

I was briefly using Digital Point's Spy add-on which does this feature even better, but then I discovered it was spying on my mod forum, reports etc. as well ....

Sure, and you can say that for just about any such changes, but for some (many?) forum owners that might be too complicated. I think this feature could be really important to more social / chat-oriented forums, so it would be nice if there was a config option in the Admin CP to give this link a more prominent location.

I was briefly using Digital Point's Spy add-on which does this feature even better, but then I discovered it was spying on my mod forum, reports etc. as well ....

Well, some people could argue the same for plenty of links in the software. Swings and roundabouts. Can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time. I think its fine where it as in the default package, and if you don't like that - you can move it yourself. Problem solved.

Well, some people could argue the same for plenty of links in the software. Swings and roundabouts. Can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time.
Yeah, it's obviously a judgement call by the XF developers if they want to have an option for it or not. If enough users want it though, then at least there is a good case for it.

Yeah, it's obviously a judgement call by the XF developers if they want to have an option for it or not. If enough users want it though, then at least there is a good case for it.

By the way, I agree it is poorly located - but it's not a big thing for me to move it so I am happy enough either way. Just playing devils advocate. ;)

I placed it on a button, on the end of the Breadcrumbs bar (well someone showed me how with an edit)
So it's top and bottom of the page.
It's the most popular link on the site. I'd say it's what makes the site work sp yes I'd enthusiastically supporft an admin option to make it vailable in various locations and option button or link.

Having it universally in a better location benefits users who use multiple XF sites which benefits sites for having such a useful page used more.

Ps. Can a mod move this to the suggestions forum. Thanks

Last edited:
I found the recent activity link. I feel like it is a little hidden for such a useful link. Maybe it could be placed in a position where it is seen more.
http://xenforo.com/community/recent-activity/

Was wondering does everyone know about that link and where to find it? Does anyone use it here? Or do you prefer new threads link or news feed or some other link?

I think that would be nice:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tabs-for-recent-activity.51552/page-2#post-560552

Also, the "Your News Feed" is too much hidden away in the Account-Tab.

:coffee:

I completely agree. It's very hidden and I've mentioned this before myself. I wouldn't mind logged in users actually being presented with the activity feed when they first browse to the site. Make it more Facebook like. Obviously, this doesn't work for every site so could be an option. But something should be done.

There's an add-on for that; it's useful :D

There are so many options to go about this.

The easiest core fix would be, since the New Threads page is now compatible with tabs (to be used by add-ons for additional content), why not add "New Threads" (or rename it to New Content) as a default New Threads page tab (clicking it defaults to the same display as it is now) and "Recent Activity" is the next one in the list (and an admincp option on which to select as default wouldn't be bad either).

So "New Content" in the subnav bar, when clicked you are presented with the new threads/posts, and at the top of the page you select between New Content (default) and "Recent Activity" as page tabs?

Then you can remove one link from the members section?

Since New Threads is used so often, they'll also be exposed to the other data which will get it out from being so hidden.

So "New Content" in the subnav bar, when clicked you are presented with the new threads/posts, and at the top of the page you select between New Content (default) and "Recent Activity" as page tabs?

Then you can remove one link from the members section?

Since New Threads is used so often, they'll also be exposed to the other data which will get it out from being so hidden.

The only thing I'd add is to have a tab for GENUINELY new content - not the slightly misleadingly named 'New Threads' which is 90% not new but updates, but the really fresh new stuff, the Starters.

I do find it a pain how the current options continually swamp me with a mass of clutter consisting of updates on threads, or types of threads, I have seen many times before which are irrelevant to me. I have no way to mark this irrelevant stuff so it stops appearing and cluttering the search results.

There's an addon to control this, but I'm talking about here on XF, or any board of comparable size which doesn't use the addon.

To find genuinely new material - Starters - there is no alternative to scanning pages of clutter titles on New Threads, or Recent.
If I haven't visited for a few days there can be quite a few Starters with 2 - 20 Replies, so number of Replies doesn't help me. For people who visit more rarely obviously it's far more difficult to keep up with the genuinely new stuff among the mass, and number of Replies will be even less help.

I find it quite a severe memory test to recall if I already hovered/ opened a thread and decided it was irrelevant. Sliding down between 2 and 10 pages of New or Recent, that's a lot of triage to do on pure brainpower! Subject lines are not always helpful, and the section name is small and pale, so not at all obvious to help.
The only option I have to do selection is Watch. But to Watch all threads except the definitely irrelevant would be a HUGE bloat on my Watched list, and dilute its usefulness. Also to Watch requires me to actually open each thread - I cannot hover, decide yes that's at least possible, and click it at its top level to Watch it. So opening up most threads individually to check their potential interest longer term, but not immediate interest, to Watch them is not workable.

Plus even if Watch could be a top level click to partner hover/ read popup, it still doesn't identify the genuinely new Starters.

Personally I think that Watched Threads and Starters would be a very powerful system. Best of all four options:

Recent ( = all)

Watched

New Starters

Watched PLUS New Starters

Once you had your own Watched list established from Recent, you'd then only have to check the New Starters to add to it. Or just monitor Watched PLUS New Starters.

Last edited:
Some interesting thoughts to consider there...

...and yeah, I'd add "Watched" to the New Content tabs as well as Recent Activity for sure.

Top Bottom