Reactivation fee

bookmark

Can anyone tell me how much is the reactivation fee for xenforo?I noticed that xenforo stuff said the reactivation fee would be a range from 40 to 140.
I need the exact number before determining to buy a license.Thanks.

Wow, this has grown somewhat.

Like most people, I dont like the idea of a re-activation fee, but I see the case for it from a business pov, they need to keep the cashflow moving and it was known about before the software went on sale so there is no real excuse for claiming otherwise. I think a "penalty" of twice the amount after just 9 months is wrong - it should be at least 12 months - as its double the renewal, which lasts 12 months.

However, my main point was the policy on access to add-ons. I fail to understand why not renewing should have that access removed.

XF themselves are not providing those add-ons, nor are they supporting them, so why shouldnt a valid licence holder have access to them, or the coder be able to support them, whether their licence is classed as "active" or not ?

No, because he is a 23 year old kid who is attempting to speak for management here and also is in wanna be mod mode.

Most of us here are forum administrators for years and do not need to be instructed on proper forum protocol by kids.
I am not speaking for management, nor am I acting like a mod at all? I made a suggestion in what I would do if I had an issue with this (Which I do not).

Its good to know that I'm being more mature and logical then someone who is 51 however, thanks for pointing that out to everyone.

You don't know how long I have been running forums, or have been manging forums (About 12 years now :), though the first ones were just hobby forums, but thats how most start right?). I also probably have -more- experience then you do regarding running forums, or related subjects because I have a background in programming and Network Administration.

Just going to pick up on a few points before I hit the sack. Plus ive already answered you numerous times regarding the complaining etc. Im a paying customer and have every right to aire my concerns in a constructive way. Feedback, complaint, call it what you will! Your quotes in italics.

x or y solutions are already existing companies; they have a large client base, and have income that covers their overhead. A startup has no income except for their initial sale originally
You keep going on about start up companies. VB and IPB were both start up companies and didnt charge people a penalty for not renewing and did great out of it! Its probably their pricing structure that helped them get such a large client base.

If you do not wish to renew, you do not have to do so, but that is your choice, and there is no coercion.
Well you do really otherwise you have to pay an $80 penalty.

Ps - I did understand the renewal model before I purchased. Ive already said numerous times I purchased cheap in the sale so I can sell on depending how things go. Ive got nothing to lose at all.

The thing is, most of the complaints are not constructive. They've degraded to flat-out whining (Not yours), and nothing is offered as an alternative (Or when Ashley replied to the alternative, people flat out ignored his response). That is why I suggested a new thread with a strict criteria and ask a mod to heavily moderate it. It'll stay on topic, and is more likely to get a change then this one will.

vB and IPB both started up a decade ago; the industry has changed, and has become much more congested. A new startup forum company has a lot of competition, and income to cover overhead becomes an issue. vBulletin started off with very few contenders, and IPB started free and then went paid where -some- of their users adopted them (I know many people had an issue with their new model of business when it happened).

You're not forced to renew however. You can choose not to or to do so before or after the reactivation fee comes into effect. Also, its only a $40 penalty :).

Let's be honest. who in their right mind allows their renewal to pass them by for that length of time?

Absolutely.. so why bother having the 'Reactivation Fee'. Most people here who are complaining would probably never be affected by the fee. But it is the point that there is a fee that is distracting.

Like I said in the beginning of this thread:
me said:
If there are no worthy updates then I don't really feel I should be pressured into buying updates just in fear of getting some 'reactivation' fee later down the track. I feel the product should sell it self. If there are worthy updates coming out then I will purchase updates. It is that simple.

Most people agree that there will be worthy updates and that they would be upgrading ($40 is a great price after all) But many people just don't like the 'rotten carrot' (fee) that is dangling in their faces 9 months down the track, it is just back firing.

Really don't know what the problem is. As others have said, the point about renewals and reactivations was mentioned on the forum long before the beta was released. It is mentioned in the buying details on the main site, where you buy the software, under the details link. If you don't actually read the clearly linked details page then, sorry, you want to be more careful. That's what 'details' are for.

As Shelley also says, it's was mentioned long before release and was clearly documented. If people choose not to read clearly linked details then, with all due respect, that's their lookout.
I did read it :) and I have not bought a license because of it. And I am sure many others will do the same.

One problem being you havent read the thread properly! I for one havent said anywhere I didnt know about the "reactivation fee". The majority of posts are not because people didnt know about it either. People are complaining because there is a reactivation fee aka a penalty.

Ive said it a few times, but I will repeat! I knew about the penalty, but still purchased two licences for $200 saving $80. I was hoping the powers that be may reconsider this penalty fee. If they dont, 3 months time I can sell my licences for the same price I purchased them at and get my money back! Nothing lost at all.

With all due respect, I have read the thread properly (give me a bit more credit than that please), I was commenting about the people who have posted that they didn't see anything about the reactivation, when it was pretty obvious. Me personally, I know the terms, I paid it, end of. I'm not somebody who relies on mods though, so I can't comment on that side of things, but I'm not going to buy a product knowing the terms and then complain about those terms. If you want to adopt that sale policy if it isn't changed then fine, I personally wouldn't go buying a product if I didn't agree with the financial package though.

And that's fine, there is obviously some discussion which needs to take place around it. I'm just saying that there was no excuse for people not knowing about the fees, none at all.
Well for many, people thought they knew what they were buying into when they read the announcement. I personally did not buy into all the hype, and did some looking around and stumbled upon the reactivation details. It was actually much worse at first, but has since improved some what, but it still has some way to go.

I can overlook the $80 fee. as it would probably never apply to me anyway, I would probably never ever wait 9 months to update. But it still puts me off from buying.

What I am more worried about now tho, is that many coders in a year and a 'bit' time won't have access to their thread to keep updating it. I bought vbulletin because of 2 reasons. Security and the strong mod community. Now XF is in early days and the mod community is growing. But forcing a coder to renew their license so they can help the 'community' is just plain going to back fire big time on XF.

Well for many, people thought they knew what they were buying into when they read the announcement. I personally did not buy into all the hype, and did some looking around and stumbled upon the reactivation details. It was actually much worse at first, but has since improved some what, but it still has some way to go.

I can overlook the $80 fee. as it would probably never apply to me anyway, I would probably never ever wait 9 months to update. But it still puts me off from buying.

What I am more worried about now tho, is that many coders in a year and a 'bit' time won't have access to their thread to keep updating it. I bought vbulletin because of 2 reasons. Security and the strong mod community. Now XF is in early days and the mod community is growing. But forcing a coder to renew their license so they can help the 'community' is just plain going to back fire big time on XF.

I have to admit, personally I don't agree with the reactivation fee as it stands (isn't it really $40 in real terms though, as the other $40 is the normal renewal?). I intend to just renew yearly anyway for the $40, to help keep supporting the software at the very least, so the reactivation fee won't be relevant to me. As I said, can't really comment on the mods issue as I keep my board vanilla clean and mod free, have never had any need for mods, so that doesn't come into it for me.

I really admire the work on this software, but unlike I did with VB4, I plan to wait and see before buying. The reactivation fee after 9 moths does seem to push the limit though. Why not just make renewal 40 bucks if done within 12 months after a new version is released and 80 bucks anytime after that - no matter how much time goes by. As has been said many times, if I go with this software, I will keep it up to date and the 40 dollars will be paid on the first day of the renewal so that I maintain my ability to stay updated. Anyone who runs a serious community will do the same. And for those that just play around with software and experiment, then they can pay the 80 bucks if they don't renew within a year - no matter how much time has passed. People who are giving away mods here for this software could have some waver so that they always pay the 40 renewal no matter how much time has passed since they are in a way supporting the software and helping sell it. (I know that when I first started coming to this site I started looking to see if people were going to be making skins and modifications to share with members for free. I think that builds community and it also helps sell a product.) Just my thoughts. Good luck to everyone working on this project and with this software. I am so pleased to have another option after the drama and disappointment that is VB4.
K

I really admire the work on this software, but unlike I did with VB4, I plan to wait and see before buying. The reactivation fee after 9 moths does seem to push the limit though. Why not just make renewal 40 bucks if done within 12 months after a new version is released and 80 bucks anytime after that - no matter how much time goes by. As has been said many times, if I go with this software, I will keep it up to date and the 40 dollars will be paid on the first day of the renewal so that I maintain my ability to stay updated. Anyone who runs a serious community will do the same. And for those that just play around with software and experiment, then they can pay the 80 bucks if they don't renew within a year - no matter how much time has passed. People who are giving away mods here for this software could have some waver so that they always pay the 40 renewal no matter how much time has passed since they are in a way supporting the software and helping sell it. (I know that when I first started coming to this site I started looking to see if people were going to be making skins and modifications to share with members for free. I think that builds community and it also helps sell a product.) Just my thoughts. Good luck to everyone working on this project and with this software. I am so pleased to have another option after the drama and disappointment that is VB4.
K
Yeah, i think we could go with that. 40 Bucks to renew and 80 bucks after :)

I was rather stupid about it and bought extra licenses I probably didn't need right away to help support the company. I didn't know about the re-activation fee thing. Seems a bit high to me.

edit to add: this didn't say anything about reactivation fees.

Support and Updates
A license comes with 12 months of updates and ticket support. 12-month update and support extensions will be purchasable for $40.

As an additional incentive to adopt early, licenses bought during the beta period will have 12 months of updates and support starting from the date when XenForo 1.0 is released as a stable and supported version.

See I got lucky, because I was about to buy 2-3. And so I bought one since you couldn't buy 2 at once. You had to buy 1 at a time. Once I bought one I waited till later in the day. Well then someone made this thread and it caught my glance!

That is when I started to debate if I want more, Because at that time Ashley hadn't made it official. But, he stated there was a high chance of the fee being put into place.

So then I decided it was safer to not buy the extra licenses I wanted.

No point, if I will be forced to renew or not get any incentives or additional support if I buy more than 1 license.

I agree, having more than one mod/plugin site just fractures the community and makes it more difficult for users to find the plugin/mod they need.
People need to put aside their egos and personal issues and work on one site, for the benefit of all.

I doubt Xenforo staff would do this.. but if they made a xenforo.net or org site, and made a mod community FREE for customers only. Regardless of renewals or not.

Then again the management might think "why should be pay for someone else's mod?". So it's probably more beneficial for someone to make a single mod community, which we can all join in at.

Because at that time Ashley hadn't made it official. But, he stated there was a high chance of the fee being put into place.
That is blatantly incorrect.
Ashley confirmed there would be a reactivation fee before the Beta was made available for sale.
Only the price wasn't confirmed.

The reactivation fee is unlikely to be more than 2 renewal fees.

Example: Regular renewals
Year 1 $100/$140 purchase
Year 2 $40 renewal month 12
Year 3 $40 renewal month 24
Total $180/$220

Putting this in reverse, at the end of 3 years, it should cost the same (more or less) for any customer who benefits from an update in a 3/4 year period.
Example:
Year 1 $100/$140 purchase
Year 2 $0
Year 3 $80 reactivation fee (payable from month 13)
Total $180/$220

We will confirm the details before the sale and keep in mind that these are examples for the purposes of illustration.

Top Bottom