Rc3 Upgrade Feedback thread...

How many people decompress on their local machine then upload the decompressed files, and how many upload the entire zip and then decompress via SSH right on their server? The latter is hundreds of times faster, if you know what you're doing.

I have to upload the zipped file and compress on the server. I use Core Light ftp and it hangs too much to make it worth while.

I updated one of my sites and will be doing the other tonight.

Upgraded from RC2 to RC3. 12 minutes to upload uncompressed files via Filezilla, 45 seconds to run the upgrade script. ALL is good here!!

I like the way it closes my board without me doing anything. I thought there was a step out of sequence in the instructions - but NO. Must be a file-overwrite right at the beginning that does that. Neat!

And all my plugins still work - AWESOME!

All went well except that our entire color palette for all styles was reverted to the default on upgrade. :( Have to rebuild it...thank goodness for sticky notes with hex codes scratched on them!

Updating templates was not as easy as with vb. vb showed me what the differences were, and it was easier to apply the changes. With this upgrade, I remembered what my changes were, but I only have one add-on installed + one own "html wrapper". I plan to add a couple more add-ons... Updating then will become a nightmare... Are there any plans to make this easier in the future?

As more template hook locations are added there will be less of a need for manual template edits when installing an Add-on.
If one is absolutely nescessary, the edit should be no more than <xen:include template="nifty_stuff" />, possibly wrapped in <xen:if is ="{$show_nifty_stuff}"></xen:if>, which makes re-appling a template edit very quick and painless, :)

If one is absolutely nescessary, the edit should be no more than <xen:include template="nifty_stuff" />, possibly wrapped in <xen:if is ="{$show_nifty_stuff}"></xen:if>, which makes re-appling a template edit very quick and painless, :)

They are not big edits, but you have to remember where in the template they are. I think I'll have to make some notes about the changes for future reference. That'll be the best.

They are not big edits, but you have to remember where in the template they are. I think I'll have to make some notes about the changes for future reference. That'll be the best.
That's what I do.

I have a file listing all of my template, phrase, css and core file edits.

Come upgrade time I just have to refer to that and reapply any edits for any reverted templates.

As a license holder, I would prefer an email advising me of the availability of a new release. I realize that right now, one is expected to subscribe to a thread (or is it a forum... I don't know) to be alerted. Will this be the policy going forward? If so, will it also be policy for receiving security release announcements?

As a license holder, I would prefer an email advising me of the availability of a new release. I realize that right now, one is expected to subscribe to a thread (or is it a forum... I don't know) to be alerted. Will this be the policy going forward? If so, will it also be policy for receiving security release announcements?

It is my experience that it's always best to wait a few hours before downloading the new versions. Of any software in general. That way if there are any major issues, they can be fixed by the time you download. Because of this, I think it is a really good practice that announcements of new versions are not sent out immediately.

Emails will go out - for stable releases. Obviously pre-1.0 is a bit of a different situation, but most users shouldn't be upgrading to non-stable releases, so sending out an email isn't really the best idea. Users that are active are the more general target for non-stable releases.

The emails that go out won't be instant either. Security announcements would probably go out more quickly, but I'd expect to see a delay between a maintenance release becoming available and an email being sent out to customers.

How many people decompress on their local machine then upload the decompressed files, and how many upload the entire zip and then decompress via SSH right on their server? The latter is hundreds of times faster, if you know what you're doing.

I always do it via SCP -> SSH -> UNZIP. I wish FTP was never invented. :)

By the way generating temporary HotLinks after validation will help us using WGET directly. :)

Top Bottom