Rc3 Upgrade Feedback thread...

How many people decompress on their local machine then upload the decompressed files, and how many upload the entire zip and then decompress via SSH right on their server? The latter is hundreds of times faster, if you know what you're doing.
Kier
This does prompt for some simple instruction on how to upload the zip file to FTP and log in to SSH and unzip and overwrite the file there.

Maybe you can add it to the install/upgrade instruction?

How many people decompress on their local machine then upload the decompressed files, and how many upload the entire zip and then decompress via SSH right on their server? The latter is hundreds of times faster, if you know what you're doing.

No idea what you said, but i open the zip onto my desktop, then upload the contents of the upload folder via ftp.

I've never known any other way to do it.

No idea what you said, but i open the zip onto my desktop, then upload the contents of the upload folder via ftp.

I've never known any other way to do it.

Basically Peggy you get the server to unzip the files, that way you only just have to re-upload the zip file you download rather than the 2000 files or so it contains.

Kier
This does prompt for some simple instruction on how to upload the zip file to FTP and log in to SSH and unzip and overwrite the file there.

Maybe you can add it to the install/upgrade instruction?
I don't want to be elitist, but it's very easy for a person to massively cock things up if they don't know what they are doing, so I'd rather not give simple instructions for how to do it, which might be followed by people who don't know how to get themselves out of trouble if it goes wrong.

I'd prefer at this point to just say that the principles are very simple for those who know their way around the command line.

I don't want to be elitist, but it's very easy for a person to massively cock things up if they don't know what they are doing, so I'd rather not give simple instructions for how to do it, which might be followed by people who don't know how to get themselves out of trouble if it goes wrong.

I'd prefer at this point to just say that the principles are very simple for those who know their way around the command line.
Wellll there ya go. That leaves me out. I wouldn't be able to get myself out of trouble, for sure.

Fair enough, Kier
I know how to do it as I wget and install packages on my server from SSH before and your post reminds me of doing this the next time as download zip, decompress locally and then ftp is a routine I get used to after installing many small addons since the upload time is minimal.

But FTP the xenforo package take 10+ minutes so that's something I'll keep in mind next time.

Personally, I download, unzip, test on my local server and if everything goes according to plan I upload the decompressed files to the live site and run the updater. All told it normally takes me 15-20 minutes to upgrade Xenforo.

I don't want to be elitist, but it's very easy for a person to massively cock things up if they don't know what they are doing,

You mean like extract the zip file into the root of your site, rather than the forum root, then tried the upgrade? NOPE! Never happened to me!
rolleyes.png

IMO this is largely why WP does the auto update. It lets people who don't know how to do the CLI via SSH still do the file transfer, uncompress the tarball and copy the new files into the installation all automatically. It's vastly faster, and leads to a *lot* less user error in installation/upgrade. :)

Going to upgrade later this evening when I'm on my wireless router instead of like last time, when I had to deal with slow campus internet. :P I like the new ACP stuff (color palette in header, last item highlight)! :D Now hopefully there aren't any more unforeseen circumstances in the next week or two. >.>

That WP auto-update has its own problems, namely making sure your PHP timeout is set, as well as having the memory limit and right file size limit (if it's an upload, I can't remember). It works ok for add-ons, but I don't trust it for full WP upgrades.

I've screwed up an WP auto-update because some PHP variable was set too low, and I needed to update "the old fashioned way".

I use a cdn and wget the upgrade.zip that's behind .htaccess with a smart little .bash script.
It was under development, but gave it a true test today .. I've upgraded 8 boards and full.zip used for 2 new installs.

Command line upgrades ftw. :) Only have to go to the browser to poke the bear and make it go 'upgrading, rebuilding, done!'.

1x upload, proper upgrades .. including backing it all up first (files|db) and hardly any downtime.
With the styles being done in CSS it's only a revert of 1, using dropbox to sync the styles with a VERSION file that you increment .. mades fixing all boards in 1 go a very easy job as well.

Now I have the whole evening ahead of me :)

Upgrade took 23 minutes for me as usual. lol

Then just uploaded my custom logo.og.png so that when people like a post it shows my logo on facebook, and also reverted by sidebaronline users template to include some advertising banners.

Upgrade took 23 minutes for me as usual. lol

Then just uploaded my custom logo.og.png so that when people like a post it shows my logo on facebook, and also reverted by sidebaronline users template to include some advertising banners.

Yeah I have a sticky on my corkboard to remind me to upload my logo.og.png.

Bragger....

Just mentioning that progress has been made. It's far from finished, but I am looking forward to finalizing it to a version that is dynamic enough and works rather smoothly on Ubuntu and CentOS - so it can be shared with big-board owners and site sysadmins, etc.

Top Bottom