RAM Usage

Jeffin

I have had many occasions in the past when my VPS RAM peaked out. Just a few hours ago I switched from ServInt VPS Plan to ServInt SolidFire SSD and now I am able to view the RAM usage. Any idea why it looks so high for this small forum?

ram.webp

Add-ons normally answer this type of question... how many you're running, and more specifically, what types / functions they perform. Some add ons are terribly coded, and some just naturally use a high amount of resources due to what they're specifically doing.

People go and add them without any thought to the consequence of increasing their CPU and RAM usage. The more bells and whistles, the less members / guests online it takes to use your servers resources.

I don't have too many addons. Just these... Digital Point Better Analytics, Display Staff Members, Nodes As Tabs, Post Ratings, Sitemap for XenForo, TAC FoolBotHoneyPot - Stop spam bots registering, Tapatalk, Xen Media Gallery, XenForo Resource Manager.

I was just told by ServInt that Cache RAM is essentially the same as free RAM and that I won't be running out of RAM space anytime soon. Is it necessary to clear up to clear up cache automatically or should I just leave it like that?

That doesn't look bad. You are using 1 GB out of 4.5 GB. Dont forget that every modern OS like Linux uses the remaining RAM for Caching - and exactly that shows in your graph.

Leave it like it is. Linux handles all that automatically.

Thank you Walter.

Forum seems really slow for me. I find hosting an XF site is really easy. They seem really light-weight and easy on resources. idk why you are having these issues... its odd to say the least.

Forum seems really slow for me. I find hosting an XF site is really easy. They seem really light-weight and easy on resources. idk why you are having these issues... its odd to say the least.

I have no idea. It could be the amount of robots visiting the site? I just got all the server-side softwares updated to their latest version and everything at the back looks fine.

Site is plenty quick (from east coast US) and the 1G or so it is actively using is about right for the size - my little drone site uses about 1/2 that most of the time...

Thank you for the replies. I was told that my RAM usage was normal. After I moved from ServInt's Flex VPS to SSD VPS, I have been having much better speed and no lag times at all. It has definitely made a lot of difference and the price difference is not so much. I am still paying about $100 per month for a managed service. I've heard of cheaper unmanaged VPS plans but I am not technically good enough to handle an unmanaged VPS on my own.

Here's the latest stats. I hope they look alright and that I can stick to this hosting plan for at least a year. :)

CPU.webp

IOPs.webp

RAM.webp

Google Analytics
stats.webp

Last edited:
The reason you RAM usage increase when I made some changes is I allocated enough RAM to innodb_bufferpool for your innodb data.

You also have 1.6GB of RAM free to use
Rich (BB code):
root@server2 [~]# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          4608       4574         33          0          0       1604
-/+ buffers/cache:       2969       1638
Swap:            0          0          0

The reason you RAM usage increase when I made some changes is I allocated enough RAM to innodb_bufferpool for your innodb data.

You also have 1.6GB of RAM free to use
Rich (BB code):
root@server2 [~]# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          4608       4574         33          0          0       1604
-/+ buffers/cache:       2969       1638
Swap:            0          0          0

Thank you for the explanation. I still have no idea what it is but I know it's a good thing. :D

Top Bottom