Quick look at UI.X 2

it'll be built restful.
What do you mean with that? Because I'm not native english speaking :)

Will the WordPress Theme have a synced Navigation (in example according permission from xenforo)? Because I look for a solution for WordPress that provide my users same look and feel in forum and WordPress.

Even after reading the wiki I don't understand what the advantages of this restful theme in daily xenforo admin business will be. Can you please explain the functionality with an example?

Love your themes and your features. The tag system is absolutely stunning and I think should be in the XF Core...
Thank you kindly Andrea, its great to hear from you again! We've begun developing the tag system, will see if we can post updates as we continue to build out.
Even after reading the wiki I don't understand what the advantages of this restful theme in daily xenforo admin business will be. Can you please explain the functionality with an example?
Nothing with XenForo admins, its just a higher quality code topology. Views are kept separate from logic and componentized. ThemeHouse.com was built RESTful, so all data s served from an API for example.

Great job so far.

Any live demo we can see?

Not quite, we just updated to DP 10. Waiting to see what XF does with footer and a few other things we're working through, but demos are assured soon enough.

Are you building a new tag system or just re-using xenforo's. I am assuming it's the latter and you are building the presentation layer on top of xenforo tags. Right?

We aren't touching XenForo's existing tags, itll be more like Thread Prefixes (but multiple, and we're calling it Topics currently) but mapping them to a node. So its like threads can have multiple nodes with a new label, more or less. That way it works with all of XenForo's existing search tools and everything else. Its a fun project, and hopefully will have more on it soon. We plan to build it into UI.X Pro and also release it as a separate product for those who do not use UI.X.

We aren't touching XenForo's existing tags, itll be more like Thread Prefixes (but multiple, and we're calling it Topics currently) but mapping them to a node. So its like threads can have multiple nodes with a new label, more or less. That way it works with all of XenForo's existing search tools and everything else. Its a fun project, and hopefully will have more on it soon. We plan to build it into UI.X Pro and also release it as a separate product for those who do not use UI.X.

The concept is very good yes. I understand it makes more business sense to have a custom filter type entirely. But from a purely technical point of view, extending the xenforo prefixes or tags would be easier to build and easier to maintain. All you have to then do is build the presentation layer. It takes away the burden of integration and building supporting functions like searching from advanced search page etc.

I wish you all the best though and the mockups indeed look fantastic! (y)

@Mike Creuzer , when I visited Androidforums as a guest I noticed you click in the editor and a popup appear with a log in and a sign up button. Both buttons go do dev.androidforums site and it is impossible to continue since it is .htaccess password protected

@Mike Creuzer , when I visited Androidforums as a guest I noticed you click in the editor and a popup appear with a log in and a sign up button. Both buttons go do dev.androidforums site and it is impossible to continue since it is .htaccess password protected
Thank you for letting us know, recent update related most likely.

I still use UI.X on one of my sites so nice to see it's being updated for XenForo 2, like @Charlie J asked will this new Pro version be a paid extra or will exisiting customers get access if their licenses are upto date? I think I've got 4/5 UI.X licenses don't even remember anymore.

UI.X Pro will be a seperate paid style?

Yes and no, Ill comment on that at the bottom of this post so I can speak more generically about what UI.X 2 Pro is, but a good question and time I cleared that up!

When is the ETA for this?

We are in beta stages. UI.X Pro will come later, but UI.X we plan to have released quite soon. The fact of the matter is that XenForo will need to update their core system to supporting versioning, upgrades, etc. before we would want to release it public. But from our end, we're nearly ready to launch. We're mostly focusing on help from our beta team (who are awesome!) and our JS guys focusing on optimizations.

I still use UI.X on one of my sites so nice to see it's being updated for XenForo 2, like @Charlie J asked will this new Pro version be a paid extra or will exisiting customers get access if their licenses are upto date? I think I've got 4/5 UI.X licenses don't even remember anymore.

Appreciate your support very much! Ill comment on UI.X 2 Pro below as well, since I agree will want to give you all an idea of what we have in mind.

I am waiting to see what you do with Class 😃

Truth be told, upgrades to existing themes are to be done based on popularity. Class was actually one of our first themes, so quite popular, but not by time. It didn't age the best. If we redo Class, it might be a more modern take on the same idea (idea here being typography, noise effects, white on black, etc.) That said, any UI.X theme can be ported over with relative ease, thats what the framework is good at, the question just becomes whether or not it'll be a product.

Real quick, Ill comment on UI.X 2 Pro in the next post.

What is UI.X 2 Pro?

I haven't said much about what UI.X 2 Pro will be, and there are some things that may change about it. But I think its time I mention the core concept of why I think a Pro version is ideal.

UI.X Pro is the ideal forum experience, specifically for forums looking to increase revenue, community interaction, and offer high quality user experience (which I think we all should be striving for). In a nutshell, the ideology is that there is an ideal way to have your forum setup. And offering every bell and whistle, modification, customization, etc. may not always be correct. UI.X 2 Pro should be something you choose, and we'll offer reasons for this, if you want the best experience possible. Some may say this is subjective, I would argue that in my experience there are certainly shades of gray but more or less there are things that work better, and this is the cumulation of those concepts. Note that we state the product as the 'ideal forum experience', not just 'ideal XenForo experience'. My way of saying XenForo is the best platform for running a forum, so this is a 'jetpack' for the platform focusing on more specific goals as listed above.

What is the difference between UI.X 2 and UI.X 2 Pro? How much will Pro cost?

UI.X 2 will be based around the default style for placement/features and not enable a lot of more advanced features by default, as we did with UI.X 1. This will help us live up to the name of UI.X being a framework for XenForo, and make less decisions for you. We add features, clean up code, simplify, extend, offer support, add helpers and settings, and the like. Sure its a huge project, but it won't be as huge as UI.X 1. We listened when people said they wanted something simpler and that UI.X was hard to update. Well the reason for this was because of its shear size. UI.X 1 was actually extremely clean and optimized.

For the amount of features we added, it was hardly any larger than the next competitor product, and if you removed some features other products may not have offered, it was actually smaller and more optimized. It had to be, its running on many large forums and needed the performance of a clean, small theme out of the box. So while this was possible in UI.X 1, out of the box you would have had to turn off settings. So think of UI.X 2 as feature parity with UI.X 1, but with some features turned off and a much more slim product provided out of the gate.

UI.X 2 Pro will be all add-ons, features, settings, etc. with a very specific theme. The reason for this is that specific themes perform better than others, they offer higher registration rates, higher posting rates, in general more engagement from the community, higher returns in advertising revenue, etc. so why ever go with a theme that is not optimized for all these factors. UI.X 2, the theme, will be packaged in the same export as UI.X 2. Meaning it won't cost you any extra to get the theme. But UI.X 2 will support some features that will be in other add-ons. We're breaking out some of the big UI.X features into separate add-ons that will work in the default style, such as node grid, node icons, collapsible sticky/nodes/postbits, AD Styler, post pagination, and more.

And while most of these add-ons will come for free with any UI.X 2 license, there are some add-ons that won't such as our advanced Trending add-on which uses statistical analysis (over just comparing post/view/like counts), our Reactions add-on (think Facebook's new like system, or post ratings), the advanced multi-tag system that we'd argue may be a better experience than nodes, and a few others. We're going to bundle everything we have data to prove is the most ideal forum experience into one product, include installation and a bit of customization, and a single price point. That price is yet to be determined, but it'll likely be somewhere around $299 - $399.

If I get most of these add-ons for free, can I not setup UI.X 2 Pro myself?

Actually, save for a few features, you theoretically can buy some of the add-ons separately that aren't in the normal UI.X bundle. If you know what you are doing, you can save yourself a bit of money by doing it yourself. But part of the reason you would by UI.X 2 Pro is if you want an expert (or a team of experts, shameless plug to team Audentio!) to be responsible for setting everything up for you. We ask the questions we need, but otherwise we set everything up to get you running. So there is a service associated with the cost more than just the add-ons we use. And we may partner with other add-on developers that offer tools we feel are ideal to have. We'll also set up your node styling, logo, color palette, footer, global UI components, etc. for you and give it a quick test to make sure its production ready and gorgeous.

So in summary, you will be able to piece together UI.X 2 Pro yourself, this is intended as we know there are people out there more hands on who may want to have more control or disagree with some of the things we've said. We plan to offer the core UI.X 2 Pro theme for free in the same UI.X 2 bundle, many of the add-ons we're packaging in will come with UI.X 2 already, and we'll have help documentation, videos, and articles to explain why doing certain things one way over another is better. Only purchase UI.X 2 Pro if you prefer to have our team consult with you.

Let me know if anyone has questions or concerns!

Top Bottom