Fixed Quick insert button unexpected resurgence - Appears with a table nested in a list.

marquisite

Affected version
Despite being put to rest, XF2.2's quick insert button is putting up a new fight.

In all seriousness, nesting a table inside a list seems to provide the right conditions for the QI button to make an unexpected reappearance in XF 2.2.2. I've been able to summon it in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox with the following steps:
  1. Insert a list.
  2. At the first bullet point, insert a table (2 x 3, unsure if this matters).
  3. Single click one of the table cells in the first row so that you see a blue border around it (default style).
  4. Single click once just slightly above the table cell's top left corner.
  5. If QI did not appear, move your mouse cursor very slowly for a few seconds in a circular pattern without clicking.
  6. If QI still did not appear, repeat step 3 and change where you click for step 4.

xenforo-2-2-quick-insert-button-unexpected-reappearance-nested-table-in-list.gif

For those curious, I initially encountered this behaviour after pasting certain clipboard contents into a list. This content was automatically rendered into a table by the Froala editor.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.2.4).

Change log:
Disable a table quick insert button that sometimes appears in the rich text editor.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Note that this isn't actually the quick insert button we laid to rest but a different one.

I think its purpose is to insert a row or column before/after the current ones. Theoretically it is useful but on the basis it has the same usability issues as the real quick insert button we've just gone ahead and disabled it.

Note that this isn't actually the quick insert button we laid to rest but a different one.

Thanks. Who knew quick insert had a brother or sister! 😲

When this other quick insert button did appear for a table nested in a list, clicking it would then trigger an uncaught TypeError at editor-compiled.js:777 (not that this matters now with the button disabled).

Top Bottom