Questions About Migrating From vBulletin 4.2.5

RobNH

I'm considering converting my vBulletin forums over to XenForo and have a few questions about the process.

Details About My Current Forums:

• version 4.2.5
  • PHP version: 5.6.40
  • MySQL Version: 10.0.38-MariaDB
  • Server: Apache Linux
  • Forum Stats: Threads 95,772 - Posts 766,591 - Members 35,636
1. I haven't upgraded my site to the latest PHP version as I have a couple custom applications I coded years ago for PHP v 5.6.x. I just haven't gotten the time to re-code them for 7.x yet, but it's on my to-do list. Can I not install the latest version of XenForo until after I've upgraded PHP?

2. I have several vBulletin plugins installed - some of which are DragonByte SEO, Newsletter, etc. I assume it would be best to completely deactivate all plugins prior to migration?

3. Part of the 4.x.x generation of vBulletin included gallery functionality built in. From what I've read here, it appears I have to purchase a separate package on top of the XenForo software in order to have the same functionality for members?

4. Same question about the search functionality. vBulletin came with basic and advanced search capability. Do I have to purchase a separate package for XenForo to have that same capability?

5. vBulletin Importer: Is there anything I should know about using this importer? I'm relatively tech savvy, but I'm not sure if I should hire someone here to do the installation and migration?

Thank you in advance!

The latest version of XF works with PHP 5.6 so no issues there.

The plugins are irrelevant as the importer will only reference core data.

Yes, there is an XFMG add-on - you can see it here: https://xenforo.com/community/media/

MySQL search should be fine in your case but you can purchase the Enhanced Search add-on if you wish.

The importer is fairly straightforward - most of our customers feel comfortable doing it themselves.
We do have a dedicated import support forum, should you have any questions though.

First, the transition to the xenforo forum system is a great decision.
This is very good..

I congratulate you

5. vBulletin Importer: Is there anything I should know about using this importer? I'm relatively tech savvy, but I'm not sure if I should hire someone here to do the installation and migration?

If you are knowledgeable about mysql and forums systems, you can even do it yourself.
I'm so clumsy. I switched from the Mybb system to the xenforo system.

I also switched from the vbulletin system to the xenforo system. But your forum is a huge forum in terms of subject and members. If there is an error, you can overcome it. Do it if you trust yourself.

I also recommend using mariadb 10.3 PHP: 7.4 when you switch to xenforo system.
I'm using this shape.
Also, when you switch vbulletin, vbulletin addons no longer exist. Instead, there are more beautiful xenforo and addons.

Last edited:
This is a great help

Some hosting allows multiple versions of PHP which can be set on each domain. You can move the vBulletin copy of the board to a sub domain to keep and restrict access for yourself so it's just for any data references.

Set the sub domain to PHP 5.6, and your main domain to 7.3/7.4, then it's better off for XenForo.

Top Bottom