Questions about migrating from vB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimitrios

Hello everyone.

I’m running a vB4 forum and it just looks terrible on mobile devices. This, to my feeling, is a major drawback. I surely don’t want to upgrade to vB5. I've seen people suffering with it.

So, I'm thinking about migrating either to xenforo or to IPS.

I do have a couple of questions, though.

1 ⁃ My domainname consists of greek letters. Would xenforo be able to handle that correctly?
2 ⁃ Is it 100% suitable for mobile devices?
3 ⁃ Right now I have a front page where I mostly host articles. Can I have that here, too?
4 ⁃ Can I have tabs? (right now I have tabs like: frontpage / forum etc)
5 ⁃ Is it easy and straightforward to migrate from vB4.2.5?
6 ⁃ Am i going to have support during the process?
7 ⁃ How much data is going to be preserved after migrating? (I'm reffering to stuff like post counters, avatars, ranks, titles, polls, emoticons etc.)
8 ⁃ Can I have custom BB codes, like for spoilers, using the same tags I use now?
9 ⁃ What happens to URLs? I mean, there’s a lot of incoming backlinking. That’s also appreciated by search engines. What happens to all that?

I hope I am not tiring you.
I'd really appreciate your answers.

Thanks

Thanks. Still, I find the instructions here and there a bit chaotic.

For example. I have installed Xenforo (and I think it's version 2.1.1) but when I go to download an importer, and if I understand that correctly, these are available for Xenforo 1.

So, am I to understand that I need to delete this installation, download and install Xenforo 1, then install and importer addon for vBulletin 4, then import the data, and last upgrade from Xenforo 1 to Xenforo 2?

Is that the process that I must follow?

edit: forget about it

I read:

At the time of writing, XenForo 2 supports importing data from the following sources:
  • XenForo 2
  • vBulletin 3.6 to 5.3
so, I suppose I'll go for it and see what happens :)

Last edited:
@Dimitrios

First, go to your Admin Control Panel (ACP) and scroll down to the bottom. On the right corner on the bottom you will see what version you are running.

Secondly, just download the latest 1.2.2 version of the importer and you are good to go, if you are on 2.1.1.

All of those importers you see in your customers area are designed for XF 2.X. However, the earlier versions only work for XF 2.0.
The latest ones work for XF 2.1

Alternatively you can delete your installation, install XF1, do an import and then upgrade to XF2. Just as you import from vB4, you don't have to do this because XF 2.1 has an importer for vB. If you were importing from SMF, phpBB, MyBB etc. you would have to go with XF1 first. Because there are no importers for the XF 2.1 version yet.

I run the importer but I get this error:

XF\Db\Exception: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php at line 160
  1. XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->makeConnection() insrc/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php at line 28
  2. XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->getConnection() insrc/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php at line 60
  3. XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->connect() in src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php at line 83
  4. XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->query() in src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php at line 165
  5. XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->fetchAllKeyed() insrc/addons/XFI/Import/Importer/vBulletin.php at line 561
  6. XFI\Import\Importer\vBulletin->stepUserGroups() insrc/XF/Import/Runner.php at line 231
  7. XF\Import\Runner->runStep() in src/XF/Import/Runner.php at line 59
  8. XF\Import\Runner->run() in src/XF/Admin/Controller/Import.php at line234
  9. XF\Admin\Controller\Import->actionRun() insrc/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 321
  10. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line248
  11. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.phpat line 100
  12. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line50
  13. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2177
  14. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 390
  15. XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13
Any ideas? Thanks

I checked src/config.php and everything looks correct there.

I have the feeling that the error concerns other data. Here I have the very specific db server name (instead of "localhost") and I do have the db username and password.

Your credentials for your live server may be different on your localhost. For example you could have created a database with a different name on localhost. Did you re-check it? If yes, I don't know. Maybe create a ticket then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom