Questions about migrating from vB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimitrios

Hello everyone.

I’m running a vB4 forum and it just looks terrible on mobile devices. This, to my feeling, is a major drawback. I surely don’t want to upgrade to vB5. I've seen people suffering with it.

So, I'm thinking about migrating either to xenforo or to IPS.

I do have a couple of questions, though.

1 ⁃ My domainname consists of greek letters. Would xenforo be able to handle that correctly?
2 ⁃ Is it 100% suitable for mobile devices?
3 ⁃ Right now I have a front page where I mostly host articles. Can I have that here, too?
4 ⁃ Can I have tabs? (right now I have tabs like: frontpage / forum etc)
5 ⁃ Is it easy and straightforward to migrate from vB4.2.5?
6 ⁃ Am i going to have support during the process?
7 ⁃ How much data is going to be preserved after migrating? (I'm reffering to stuff like post counters, avatars, ranks, titles, polls, emoticons etc.)
8 ⁃ Can I have custom BB codes, like for spoilers, using the same tags I use now?
9 ⁃ What happens to URLs? I mean, there’s a lot of incoming backlinking. That’s also appreciated by search engines. What happens to all that?

I hope I am not tiring you.
I'd really appreciate your answers.

Thanks

All of that shouldn't be an issue.

There is a dedicated importer which will import all standard content and redirection scripts available for existing URLs.

We don't provide official ticket support for imports, but there is a dedicated forum where you can obtain community based assistance (as well as XF staff helping).

We also have a reasonable refund policy so you can purchase XF, test out the import and if you find it's not going to work for you, we can refund.

8 ⁃ Can I have custom BB codes, like for spoilers, using the same tags I use now?
I've had this issue on a few forums I converted several years ago. You may need help from fellow members here if you need to do a search/replace operation and use some regular expressions to find them all, but it certainly is possible. I came from vB 3.7 and am pleased that just about everything we had in the old forum was transferred over properly. Best bet is to set up a forum for testing, using your existing vB4 data, and do a few test runs of the conversion.

I'm interested in a possible forum switch from Vb to Xenforo. Biggest reason really is mobile-ready templates. My traffic has tanked since Google started mobile first indexing.

I know there is no actual question here, but the answer is "good idea!"

Jesus I'm ADHD these days. There actually was supposed to be a question here, which was does anyone offer migration services?

Apologize for the scatterbrained thoughts - I just started seriously considering this a few days ago so I'm thinking of feasibility.

site is forums.alpinezone.com

I have a few concerns about the upgrade:

1. I have a WP front end which I use to publish news and blog articles - does anything like this exist? I did see a Xenforo / WP bridge in a quick google search.
  2. I'm using Tapatalk which works well enough, I assume it's easy to switch to the Xenforo plugin for tapatalk?
  3. My styling is kind of dated now but I do want to keep a consistent look. What kind of styling options exist as far as backgrounds etc. Right now I keep my "menu bar" identical between the forum side and the Wordpress side , which is kinda tedious because i have to basically manage the menu in two locations (wordpress theme and Vbulletin).
For those who have switched, did you see organic search traffic increase?

Yes there are a couple of bridge Addons, I think at least one of them will keep a consistent style between the two. I also think tapatalk has an addon, but I dropped tapatalk as soon as I moved from vb to xf, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Yes traffic and ad revenue is up.

Are there step by step instructions about how to migrate from vBulletin 4 to Xenforo?
For myself, I decided not to sweat that and instead hired @MySiteGuy to take care of it, turnkey. And it's the best decision I ever made having migrated many phpBB sites to vB over the years and knowing what a PITA migration can sometimes be. His price is righteous, his service is great, he is trustworthy and will take good care of you. Might I suggest contacting him and getting lots of questions answered, at the very least. He's done this lots.

Thanks, Slavik.

I just bought a licence.

These import notes are not exactly step by step instructions.

Here's my plan. First I will install the latest version of Xenforo. Then install the import plugin (I'll look for instructions) like you suggest. In the meanwhile I am going to look for more instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom