[Question] Test installation to live?

SchmitzIT

For some time now, we have been running our test installation, allowing us to tweak and play with the xF setup.

We're planning on a go-live with xF soon, and I am just wondering whether I would somehow be able to rerun an import (VB4, so not the official importer), and continue using my test installation, rather than having to go through a full reinstall.

I can see benefits and disadvantages to either of those, and am trying to minimize the time I'll have to spend on the xF go-live.

Any thoughts?

If you rerun the import, you will end up with duplicated content.

Ideally you should have taken a backup of your XenForo installation before importing the first time.
Then you could just restore it back to as it was.

Repeating the import process will result in duplicated content, including attachments and avatars. Users however will not be duplicated, due to the constraint related to user names.

http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

What if I truncate the tables containing content prior to the import, then? That way I'll retain my settings, and modifications. I'll have to of course verify which tables are touched by it, and rerun the "find and replace" to fix my broken media settings, but it'd still be doable, methinks.

Manually removing content from the DB is possible but you will need to ensure you encompass all the relevant tables related to the content you want to remove.

Top Bottom