XF 1.4 Question about the permission "Delete profile posts by self"

imthebest

Hi,

There is a usergroup permission labeled "Delete profile posts by self". If I enable that permission do it means that:

A. The member will be able to delete their own profile posts on their own profile.
B. The member will be able to delete their own profile posts on the profiles of other people.

Please let me know if only A will happen or if it is A+B.

Thanks.

And another question... does the "Edit profile posts by self" have a time limit? Do it follows the "Time limit on editing/deleting own posts (minutes)" permission?

A. The member will be able to delete their own profile posts on their own profile.
B. The member will be able to delete their own profile posts on the profiles of other people.
No - "Delete profile posts by self" only applies for profile posts created by the member on his/her own profile only.

What you're after is the "Profile Post Moderator Permissions" directly below:
Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 8.44.09 am.webp

You generally want to set these to Not Set (No) - this will prevent users from editing/deleting other member's profile posts.

And another question... does the "Edit profile posts by self" have a time limit?
To my knowledge there is no time limit for editing profile posts...

Hi,

There is a usergroup permission labeled "Delete profile posts by self". If I enable that permission do it means that:

Please let me know if only A will happen or if it is A+B.

Thanks.

No - "Delete profile posts by self" only applies for profile posts created by the member on his/her own profile only.

You're wrong. Currently "Delete profile posts by self" enables the member to delete profile posts made by him not only on his own profile but also those posted on the profile of other members.

Then your members must be associated with an additional user group that has profile post moderator permissions.

I just created a new demo Xenforo board and tested this.

As you can see, "Delete profile posts by self" is enabled:
Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 9.26.40 am.webp

Permissions analyser confirms this:
Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 9.28.49 am.webp

And when I view another member profile I can confirm I cannot delete his/her profile post:
Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 9.26.15 am.webp

I suggest you use the Users -> Analyse Permissions tool to check the root cause.

First thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this.

However I think you misunderstood what I said. I'm quoting myself again: Currently "Delete profile posts by self" enables the member to delete profile posts made by him not only on his own profile but also those posted on the profile of other members.

So for example if you belong to a usergroup that have the permission "Delete profile posts by self" enabled then you are going to be able to delete profile posts made by you be it on your own profile or on other member's profiles. You will not be able to delete profile posts made by other members on other profiles, but those profile posts made by you on the profile of other people are going to be deletable by you thanks to the permission "Delete profile posts by self".

My problem is that I have enabled the permission "Manage profile posts on own profile" so people can delete profile posts from their own profiles, however they are unable to delete those profile posts (on their own profiles) made by themselves unless granted the permission "Delete profile posts by self" which also allows them to delete those profile posts made by them on other member's profiles. I only want to allow people to be able to delete any profile posts on their own profile, be it posted by themselves or by other people, WITHOUT allowing people to be able to delete those profile posts made by them on other member's profiles.

I only want to allow people to be able to delete any profile posts on their own profile, be it posted by themselves or by other people, WITHOUT allowing people to be able to delete those profile posts made by them on other member's profiles.
Why?

That's akin to allowing members to delete their own posts from their own threads but not from threads started by other members.

Well, threads and profiles are totally different... threads are where your content resides on and you want to protect it (no deletion ability for anyone but moderators).

However your profile is *your* profile and you should be allowed to delete anything inside your profile and only your profile... however XenForo currently doesn't allows this without also giving the member the ability to delete content on the other member's profiles (those profile posts made by the member).

First thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this.
You're welcome - permissions can be tricky so hopefully we can find the root cause for you.

So for example if you belong to a usergroup that have the permission "Delete profile posts by self" enabled then you are going to be able to delete profile posts made by you be it on your own profile or on other member's profiles.
I think you're confused by the wording of this permission.

"Delete profile posts by self" literally means "Delete profile posts created by the currently logged in user only".

As I have shown you in my screenshot above, this permission is set to "Allow" by default on a fresh Xenforo install for the "Registered" user group. This permission does not allow you to delete other member's profile posts.

I only want to allow people to be able to delete any profile posts on their own profile, be it posted by themselves or by other people, WITHOUT allowing people to be able to delete those profile posts made by them on other member's profiles.
This is only possible if "Delete profile posts by anyone" is set to Allow.

What do you have set for "Delete profile posts by anyone" under "Profile Post Moderator Permissions" for your Registered user group?

Top Bottom