Can't fix Push notifications on multiple devices

HortonX25

Affected version
Xenforo 2.1
If I view a PM from another device like my phone, I still get push notifications AFTER reading it on that device, when I turn on my PC.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that, but it'd be nice if the push checked for unreads rather then new messages, as it's kinda annoying to get beeps for stuff you've already seen. So dunno if this bug or suggestion, either way it's dumb and annoying as it is.

The notification does get pushed to subscribed devices when the event (eg. a new message) happens and is valid for 24h.

So if you read the content before the expiry on another device, you will still get the notification as at this point in time it has already been pushed.

AFAIK it is technically not possible to cancel a push message that has already been sent.

it does seem just a little buggy tho right?

i have noticed so far...just in a couple weeks or so of visiting this site, for example...

i notice delays in some messages, where even just on one device i am using....i get a notification popping up about a post i read 15 mins ago or someth...or its double popups, one from windows, one more 3rd party looking white bg...sometimes they pop both up at the same time....sometimes its one or the other...sometimes they dont come thru at all.......i was wondering about it

You can't control the vagaries of PUSH any more than you could SMS back in the day, or text today. You can't even control email to anywhere near this degree. You're asking the equivelent of being able to call back an email after you've clicked "send" and have it be 100 percent reliable.

If I view a PM from another device like my phone, I still get push notifications AFTER reading it on that device, when I turn on my PC.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that, but it'd be nice if the push checked for unreads rather then new messages, as it's kinda annoying to get beeps for stuff you've already seen. So dunno if this bug or suggestion, either way it's dumb and annoying as it is.

Push is device specific, so reading one on one device does not clear it from another.

In short, we can't do anything about this. If a web push message is sent, we basically have to display a notification (it's part of the requirements). We can't try to detect whether it has been read and skip this, for example.

how about tracking the average time the user click/time on push notifications?

in this way if you can trace devices from which the users top/click on notification, we can send delayed notifications (after the average tape/click time) in "less" used devices?

uhmmm maybe is a little bit complicated...

Top Bottom