The section on adding and editing public navigation seems incomplete:

For the Basic type, how do we use:

Display condition and Extra attributes

Display Condition - do we use full template conditionals? e.g:
<xf:if is="$template != 'forum_list'">
Or just something like:
$template != 'forum_list'

Extra Attributes
What are the options? What inputs are acceptable here?

Just to be clear for anyone that reads this, the condition is just the condition part (which in our template code is known as the "expression syntax").

Extra attributes refers to extra HTML attributes to add on the output tag. This can be whatever you want/need, though most commonly, it's just to open a link in a new window (or perhaps an overlay).

Just to be clear for anyone that reads this, the condition is just the condition part (which in our template code is known as the "expression syntax").

Extra attributes refers to extra HTML attributes to add on the output tag. This can be whatever you want/need, though most commonly, it's just to open a link in a new window (or perhaps an overlay).
These are marked Screen Name and Value - can you give examples of each? Screen Name does not ring a bell as an HTML attribute.

These are marked Screen Name and Value - can you give examples of each? Screen Name does not ring a bell as an HTML attribute.
I presume you've changed the name phrase to "Screen Name" -- you can see in Brogan's screenshot that the default placeholders there are just Name/Value.

I presume you've changed the name phrase to "Screen Name" -- you can see in Brogan's screenshot that the default placeholders there are just Name/Value.
Yes because the occasional user was typing in their real name as their screen name during registration.

It's a bit bizarre that phrases aren't contextual, but I suppose we will have to make do. We're still finding many of these trips and traps and no documentation to speak of, or incomplete documentation in this case.

I've read this and done searches but I haven't a clue what you are all talking about.
I want to add a navigation button but the Xenforo Manual is of no help at all.

Can someone please tell me what is the 'Display condition' and what I put in there
and the same for the 'Extra attributes' ?

But it comes up "Please enter a value using only a-z, A-Z, 0-9, and _ characters. " if I don't ?
Though it doesn't actually say where the value should be entered.

I don't actually know what "Display condition" means, there is no explanation or example in the Manual.

Last edited:
That's the page, the Edit navigation
I'm trying to put a link into the Link box to an external url and it open in a new tab.

It does it on my old site which I'm moving across manually as I don't know any other way to do it., well, not clever enough.

My other site which I will close as soon as I have moved everything over is https://theplymouthlink.com and the Tab link
that works is the 'Daily Quiz'. I would copy what it says in there but the Edit navigation is different on v2.1.3 than it is on
my old site v2.0.9.

edit.webp

Sorry about the cross posting, I came across this thread long after I started the other one.

Last edited:
Hi Ozzy

Using the BBC.co.uk as a test link, I copied your example exactly but I get an 'Oops'

Is there something I have missed ?

exlink.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom