Lack of interest Provide a name for the User Control Panel

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Any particular reason? I don't see it providing any real value there - the functions there are obviously all related to you and your account. ("Your Account" is what it is called when you go into one of those pages.)

Hi Mike,

I often want to direct members to the User Control Panel, but currently have no easy way of doing so because it's not named. It would make admins life easier if there was a name for the User Control Panel. For example we could than write:

User Control Panel -> Contact Details -> Email address

to direct a member to change their email address. Of course some extremely new members still need instructions how to find the User Control Panel.

Hi Mike,

I often want to direct members to the User Control Panel, but currently have no easy way of doing so because it's not named. It would make admins life easier if there was a name for the User Control Panel. For example we could than write:

User Control Panel -> Contact Details -> Email address

to direct a member to change their email address. Of course some extremely new members still need instructions how to find the User Control Panel.

Just say Your Account -> Contact Details -> Email Address

Seams like "Your Account" and "Username Drop down" are not very good at describing this panel. I think User Control Panel best describes it.

I agree it might be helpful to have a name - for support reference if nothing else.
It's distracting and detracting immediately above the avatar though.
I don't like 3 words - to elaborate, not neat.
I don't like giving a link. That doesn't teach someone to be independent.
How about this?
User area.webp

Once someone has come across the dropdown, they know what it contains and don't need a hidden visual descriptor like what you're suggesting.

If they haven't come across it before and you're trying to tell them where it is, how is a link inside the dropdown going to help you explain how to open that drop down? The link/descriptor will be concealed until the action is already done, in which case my original point remains.

I agree it might be helpful to have a name - for support reference if nothing else.
It's distracting and detracting immediately above the avatar though.
I don't like 3 words - to elaborate, not neat.
I don't like giving a link. That doesn't teach someone to be independent.
How about this?
View attachment 49384

Thank you, Morgain, I like your suggestion of naming this panel "My Account", that works just as good as "User Control Panel".

Another option might be to call it "My Control Panel".

That doesn't teach the member how to find these important links in the future.

I often create help threads that show with images where to find certain things. The problem with a nameless panel is that it becomes difficult to describe it.

How do you plan on teaching your user in first instance where this panel is? A link inside the panel they're trying to open isn't going to help.

Perhaps what you should do is remove the user's username and instead call it My Account?

upload_2013-6-19_23-5-39.webp

I just don't buy this argument which is constantly trotted out about members being too stupid to work things out for themselves or follow simple directions.

Take a screenshot if that's the case.

I repeat my earlier post that it is pointless bloat and serves no useful purpose.

That doesn't teach the member how to find these important links in the future.

I often create help threads that show with images where to find certain things. The problem with a nameless panel is that it becomes difficult to describe it.
Since the breadcrumb in the user account pages all start with Your Account can't you just refer to it as "Your Account"?

All communities have different needs and different members of varying different capabilities.

My members have no issue finding things, so I wouldn't want or need my environment dumbing down. These changes are very much personal preferences, and luckily that's why we have absolute full control of our templates and phrases so we can adjust all of this accordingly to the needs of our members.

Top Bottom