ProtonMail Service.. Still Having Issues [Xenforo Email Options]

MarcusG

Hello,

So after days of researching, looking at tutorials, and asking for help from people that might have an idea it has come to my conclusion that I am at a brick wall. I am trying to get my Xenforo website to work with Protonmail but it is failing to send out emails, for example, the verification email when registering an account. When I set the email address to my personal one it works out perfectly fine however when I try replacing the email with my custom one (no-reply@kingdomsofargus.com) it won't send out. I have tried using the default transport method and the SMTP method, both did not work.

I currently have my website run on a web hosting -- FadeNode.

This error below keeps popping up every time a user tries to verify their account.. I was told Proton Bridge needs to be installed on the hardware of the server I'm on but I just don't know.

• Email to marcusg@gmail.com failed: Connection could not be established with host 127.0.0.1 [Connection refused #111]

Weird thing to me is that I am able to successfully send and receive emails directly to my custom email

I don't understand exactly what you're trying to use ProtonMail for?

My understanding is that ProtonMail is a mail client?

I wouldn't think that you could send email from your website to people using ProtonMail - it isn't designed for that?

You need to get an actual email service provider designed to send email - eg SparkPost; AWS SES; SendGrid; Mailgun; Pepipost; etc - or else try and use the SMTP service from your web hosting provider (but they never work as well).

I don't understand exactly what you're trying to use ProtonMail for?

My understanding is that ProtonMail is a mail client?

I wouldn't think that you could send email from your website to people using ProtonMail - it isn't designed for that?

You need to get an actual email service provider designed to send email - eg SparkPost; AWS SES; SendGrid; Mailgun; Pepipost; etc - or else try and use the SMTP service from your web hosting provider (but they never work as well).

So I have ProtonMail setup and I was trying to use the email that I created using ProtonMail for my website. I was under the impression ProtonMail could be used this way as it is an email service provider. I am able to send/receive emails with it outside of Xenforo but it is not working with it.

I was under the impression ProtonMail could be used this way as it is an email service provider.

ProtonMail is an inbound mail provider like Gmail or Yahoomail. You need an outbound mail provider like SparkPost or AWS SES.

The ProtonMail Bridge is a tool that lets you use ProtonMail with any mail client. It is not for sending email from a server.

If you controlled the server, you could theoretically set up the bridge on your server to accept SMTP connections and send mail - but that's not what it is designed for and you'll end up causing yourself and your users more grief.

Give up on ProtonMail here - sending emails from a web server is not what it is designed for.

ProtonMail is an inbound mail provider like Gmail or Yahoomail. You need an outbound mail provider like SparkPost or AWS SES.

The ProtonMail Bridge is a tool that lets you use ProtonMail with any mail client. It is not for sending email from a server.

If you controlled the server, you could theoretically set up the bridge on your server to accept SMTP connections and send mail - but that's not what it is designed for and you'll end up causing yourself and your users more grief.

Give up on ProtonMail here - sending emails from a web server is not what it is designed for.
Hmm, I thought it would work because I am able to send emails using the ProtonMail custom email address to users directly. However, I will try what you have mentioned, SparkPost; AWS SES; SendGrid; Mailgun; Pepipost

ProtonMail is not designed for mass mailing and doesn't support SMTP unless you use ProtonMail Bridge (which is buggy and in beta), you can use a separate bulk-mailing SMTP server for a custom domain pointed to ProtonMail, Mailgun is free for small sites (reasonable fees for larger ones) and will help you with DNS setup, just modify your DKIM records and add them to the SPF record.

You can use protonmail for receiving email to your webmaster mail addresses. This will allow you to enjoy the secure features.
But for sending email from xenforo to your members, you will need a service like Amazon SES. Do mind that Amazon bounce management will not work out of the box. @DragonByte Tech has a Mail addon that provides Amazon SES bounce management.
Or for any other service your will also need an integration with XenForo.

You can use protonmail for receiving email to your webmaster mail addresses. This will allow you to enjoy the secure features.
But for sending email from xenforo to your members, you will need a service like Amazon SES. Do mind that Amazon bounce management will not work out of the box. @DragonByte Tech has a Mail addon that provides Amazon SES bounce management.
Or for any other service your will also need an integration with XenForo.
Do you need a plugin? SES will give you SMTP credentials. The only drawback is no bounce notifications within the admin panel.

Please read this whole thread:

Do you need a plugin? SES will give you SMTP credentials. The only drawback is no bounce notifications within the admin panel.
Yeah, that's the point of Alfa's post; you can send mail via Amazon SES no problem, but they send bounce notifications in a special way that requires extra parsing. XenForo core does not do this extra parsing, my add-on does.

Proper bounce handling is important, because if your bounce rate goes above a certain threshold, Amazon will disable your account. You will then have to email them, explain why your bounce rate was high, and explain the steps you have taken to mitigate this problem. The more often this occurs, the better your explanations will need to be, as they will have no problems kicking you off their service.

The reason why their policy is so strict is the fact that high number of bounced mail leads to their IP address' reputation with mail providers going in the toilet, which means they can't deliver mail correctly (which is the whole point of using their service over your own server's IP address), which means they will have to throw that IP address in the bin, costing them money.

You should not be using any external SMTP service unless you are 100% sure you are able to handle incoming bounced email correctly.

Yeah, that's the point of Alfa's post; you can send mail via Amazon SES no problem, but they send bounce notifications in a special way that requires extra parsing. XenForo core does not do this extra parsing, my add-on does.

Proper bounce handling is important, because if your bounce rate goes above a certain threshold, Amazon will disable your account. You will then have to email them, explain why your bounce rate was high, and explain the steps you have taken to mitigate this problem. The more often this occurs, the better your explanations will need to be, as they will have no problems kicking you off their service.

The reason why their policy is so strict is the fact that high number of bounced mail leads to their IP address' reputation with mail providers going in the toilet, which means they can't deliver mail correctly (which is the whole point of using their service over your own server's IP address), which means they will have to throw that IP address in the bin, costing them money.

You should not be using any external SMTP service unless you are 100% sure you are able to handle incoming bounced email correctly.

Do you have an addon for Mailgun?

Top Bottom