1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Profile Fields in 1.1

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by ragtek, Sep 21, 2011.

1. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Will it be possible to use them only for stuff like "interests:", "music", "your favourite colour" or will we be able to use them also for "add-on related stuff" like:

Newsletter => create profile field checkbox "subscribe to newsletter" and show it on the privacy page..
    Addon xxx => create profile field checkbox "show my points to guests"
    Addon Foo => create profile field "hidden for user" (only settable in acp & via php code)

ATM we would need to create a extra column in the user (or other table), extend the user datawriter, add output to the template(if needed) , etc...
    If we could use profile fields for this, this would IMO make many things much easier:p
    (I hope you know what i mean:( )
    Luis likes this.
  2. MGSteve

MGSteve Well-Known Member

Custom profile fields are slated for 1.1, they just haven't show us then yet in a 'Have you seen' video ;)

*hint hint*
  3. ragtek

ragtek Guest

That's why i'm asking:p

If mike/kier say => no it's not possible to use them for this, i can continue the development, if they say it's possible, i'll wait for 1.1 to continue the development
    MGSteve likes this.
  4. victoriaB

victoriaB New Member

Yeah. Its possible to use "interest", "music", etc.
  5. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Maybe this...

Screen Shot 2011-09-21 at 13.40.48.png

and this...

Screen Shot 2011-09-21 at 13.40.59.png

will go some way to answering your question?
  6. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

7. ragtek

ragtek Guest

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

As an addendum, profile fields aren't attached to add-ons, but they are given specific names on creation, so you could create a profile field at install time in the location that you need. (Though you have to watch as you won't be able to set a default value for the field, mostly for technical reasons.)
    Lone Wolf, MGSteve and ibnesayeed like this.
  9. Ranger375

Ranger375 Well-Known Member

Ohhh it ties into registration, FOR THE WIN :D (y)
  10. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

But, does profile fields have the same behavior as the current "identity services" currently do? Or is profile fields replacing identity services the way it is now? o_O
  11. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Identity services are for things like Twitter & Facebook. Profile fields are similar but serve a different purposes. I would add a profile field for "Favorite Color" but an Identity for "Google Plus."
  12. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I know. It's just that, in vB3/4 both behaviors is inherit from each other.
  13. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

From the look of it, they are fundamentally different. In v1.0.x, you have validation functions and such. Plus, how they are entered into a user profile... It's different how they appear to be presented in v1.1. Since Identity services can be expanded per user (say I have a Facebook, I can add that) rather than profile fields that should be present at all times (somewhere). Plus, you can show it in preferences.
  14. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Identity services have been merged into custom user fields for 1.1. There didn't really seem any point in keeping them separate.
    Marcus, erich37, Trombones13 and 7 others like this.
  15. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

Can we search users by their field answer ?
    erich37 likes this.
  16. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

will it be possible to search profile fields by "interest" and "gender" and "age" and "location" ?

similar to dating sites, e.g. this one: