• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Profile Fields in 1.1

R

ragtek

Will it be possible to use them only for stuff like "interests:", "music", "your favourite colour" or will we be able to use them also for "add-on related stuff" like:

Newsletter => create profile field checkbox "subscribe to newsletter" and show it on the privacy page..
Addon xxx => create profile field checkbox "show my points to guests"
Addon Foo => create profile field "hidden for user" (only settable in acp & via php code)

ATM we would need to create a extra column in the user (or other table), extend the user datawriter, add output to the template(if needed) , etc...
If we could use profile fields for this, this would IMO make many things much easier:p
(I hope you know what i mean:( )

R

ragtek

That's why i'm asking:p

If mike/kier say => no it's not possible to use them for this, i can continue the development, if they say it's possible, i'll wait for 1.1 to continue the development

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
As an addendum, profile fields aren't attached to add-ons, but they are given specific names on creation, so you could create a profile field at install time in the location that you need. (Though you have to watch as you won't be able to set a default value for the field, mostly for technical reasons.)

Carlos

But, does profile fields have the same behavior as the current "identity services" currently do? Or is profile fields replacing identity services the way it is now? o_O

Jeremy

But, does profile fields have the same behavior as the current "identity services" currently do? Or is profile fields replacing identity services the way it is now? o_O
Identity services are for things like Twitter & Facebook. Profile fields are similar but serve a different purposes. I would add a profile field for "Favorite Color" but an Identity for "Google Plus."

Carlos

Identity services are for things like Twitter & Facebook. Profile fields are similar but serve a different purposes. I would add a profile field for "Favorite Color" but an Identity for "Google Plus."
I know. It's just that, in vB3/4 both behaviors is inherit from each other.

Jeremy

I know. It's just that, in vB3/4 both behaviors is inherit from each other.
From the look of it, they are fundamentally different. In v1.0.x, you have validation functions and such. Plus, how they are entered into a user profile... It's different how they appear to be presented in v1.1. Since Identity services can be expanded per user (say I have a Facebook, I can add that) rather than profile fields that should be present at all times (somewhere). Plus, you can show it in preferences.