1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem upgrading to Beta 6 with an existing Beta 5 database

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Philip Morton, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Philip Morton

Philip Morton Member

I'm trying to upgrade Beta 5 to Beta 6.

I made a mistake in my file upload, so deleted all of the files off of the server and uploaded a fresh, full install package of Beta 6.

Now when I go to the forums, it wants to install again and wipe the (Beta 5) database. I want it to keep the data and upgrade the database to Beta 6.

Is there a way to do this?

P.S. A WordPress-style automatic upgrade system can't come soon enough!

2. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

Yes, just edit your /library/config.php with the old database details and you should be ready to go :)

3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

If you deleted all the files, then you removed the data in the data/ and internal_data/ directories. That includes avatars and attachments, so you can't get those back. But additionally, there's a file that locks the installer there. You can manually create the internal_data/install-lock.php file (browsing to the admin CP may fix it).

4. Philip Morton

Philip Morton Member

That doesn't work because the database and files are different work. I get this:

screenshot_1.jpg screenshot_2.jpg screenshot_3.jpg screenshot_4.jpg screenshot_5.jpg

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

As Mike said, you need to create the internal_data/install-lock.php file.

Then if you edit your config.php file to add the data in you should be able to upgrade.

6. Philip Morton

Philip Morton Member

So I should create the install-lock.php file?

7. Philip Morton

Philip Morton Member

Ok, got it. It's upgrading. Fingers crossed!

8. Philip Morton

Philip Morton Member

Alright, everything fixed. I had an incomplete backup, so had the /data and /internal_data stuff.

That was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back!

9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

For future reference, only the /data, /internal_data, config.php and .htaccess are umique to your install, assuming you don't have any add-ons or have made any file edits.

All the files are generic as all content, templates, etc. are stored in the database.

10. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member