XF 1.5 Problem importing from phpBB

jr777

I'm trying to import my data from phpBB and it just won't connect. It keeps saying the source database details aren't correct, but I've quadruple checked them and they are. I even verified with my hosting company that they're correct.

ETA: I'm using phpbb 3.1

Last edited:
Update:

I was finally able to connect to the database by uploading it to my new server and using the localhost. But now I can't get the paths to the avatars and attachments.

I can't figure this out! I've even talked to the all the tech support at my host, and they can't figure it out either.

The paths I'm using are:

images/avatars/upload
files

That's how it looks in my file system. I've also tried every combination of everything I've read here, and nothing works. I'm really getting frustrated.

This is what it's telling me:

Error
The attachments directory could not be found.
The avatars directory could not be found.

Navigate to /admin.php?tools/phpinfo and search for DOCUMENT_ROOT to get the absolute path of your XenForo installation.

From there you can determine the absolute path for your other installation.

If XenForo is installed in the root and the software to be imported is in /archive for example, the relative path would be archive/, the absolute path would be /home/sitename/public_html/archive/.

Navigate to /admin.php?tools/phpinfo and search for DOCUMENT_ROOT to get the absolute path of your XenForo installation.

If XenForo is installed in the root and the software to be imported is in /archive for example, the relative path would be archive/, the absolute path would be /home/sitename/public_html/archive/.

Can you explain that in more detail? Where am I supposed to do this navigation? Sorry, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Just append this to your XF URL - /admin.php?tools/phpinfo

It's available from the ACP.

I'm sorry, I still don't understand. Where in the ACP? Are you saying just go to my ACP and paste that extension onto the URL in the address bar? If so, it returns a 404 page.

Ok, now search in that page for DOCUMENT_ROOT (usually Ctrl+F will let you search in a page)

After you obtain the document root, you can proceed to follow Brogan's instructions.

I just tried it and it didn't work. I also tried replacing public_html with the URL. I'm at a complete loss here. I've double and triple checked the path in my file system, and it's absolutely images/avatars/upload.

Again, I'm trying to import from the database I uploaded to my new server. My site is currently at 556files.com, and my Xenforo installation is on 556files.net on another server. I tried doing the import remotely, but I couldn't ever connect to my .com database. So I downloaded the database from that server and uploaded it onto the new server. Will this make a difference?

Yes - it doesn't matter what the path is, as long as you reference it correctly in the importer.

It will likely be easiest to put it within the XF directory - e.g. /temp.

Yes - it doesn't matter what the path is, as long as you reference it correctly in the importer.

It will likely be easiest to put it within the XF directory - e.g. /temp.

Okay, sounds good. Thanks for all the help. I will try it once my control panel comes back up (down for maintenance or something) and report back.

Success!!!

As long as I've got everyone's attention, can someone tell me how to make external links open in a new tab? I've been through the entire ACP and that particular setting still eludes me...:(

Top Bottom