Lack of interest Preview in quick reply

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Indeed good sir, your previewing abilities are truly legendary. Why I first heard of EQnoble - Master of the Preview - when I was venturing in yonder forums and did note tales of EQnoble's pressing of the preview button on a most regular basis.

I do indeed concede to you the title of EQnoble, Master of Using the Preview. I also hear a certificate is in the mail from the International Society of Preview. Truly an honour well deserved for a man of your stature.

I was referring to your earlier comment though:

I am heartened by your change of heart and desire to have a preview button in the quick reply form though - including a most useful suggestion. Truly, all I was after was to load the standard preview but your suggestion will provide brave and bold new functionality that will be convenient. Together, we shall join forces and vanquish these foes who doth stand in our way and prevent us from having useful and handy features!

Having fun...?
if your going to play word games you should at least take into account that the post you're referring to was posted in 2010, and I still don't want a preview underneath my text box that I am typing in...it will make the page expand massively but yeah way to think that an opinion can't change in over a year. Also I can't tell if you are trolling or seriously don't understand what I am saying. So I will make it clear to you...

Preview button is ok if it triggers the formatted post in an overlay only otherwise leave it to a second page like it is now.

Seriously you said a whole lot really without saying anything and that is a waste of time and space...you should try to put logic into what you say...how does me using the preview button make me think I am special...well it doesn't, it was a supporting fact as to why I like the preview button and the validity of it because I have used it on at least 3/4ths of my posts which I have a lot of... you in turn shifted a conversation about preview buttons to try to make sarcastic remarks similar to a drunkard all directed at me to effect something that is beyond the scope of reality or you just don't like not getting your way, even in a conversation.

AN-E-WAYS Nice try though...<brushes off shoulders> got better things to do than have this conversation with someone who obviously is just looking to pick a fight. Off to do something useful...ftr you should worry more about your stature and less about mine...I'm comfortable with who I am.

if your going to play word games you should at least take into account that the post you're referring to was posted in 2010, and I still don't want a preview underneath my text box that I am typing in...it will make the page expand massively
That's great because I don't think anyone ever suggested or in fact asked for that? Right now preview loads in another window (specifically, the "more options" window). The only issue that's been raised in this regard is getting there from Quick Reply. Right now it's a process that requires two full page loads (More Options -> Preview). We'd like it to be one (Preview).

A button that goes straight to the preview from Quick Reply is all that's being asked for here - that is, by the people that want this feature.

And if you want to tell me how much you use the preview feature and then insist that in fact, you're certain you use it more than me (which is not only completely irrelevant to the conversation but also something that's not even worth arguing over)... I don't really care and will respond appropriately.

you brought up a post that is almost 1 and a half years old and quoted me in your post, it was I replying to you , not the other way around...I don't even really know where you are coming from because I made 3000 posts here and I have not had a problem with the preview the way it is. When you say we would like it to be - I don't know who you speak of because I speak for me and not everybody so I don't get who else it could be you speak for when you are the fist person to post in this thread in over a year.

And then you tried to get sarcastic like it would be the funny thing to do for what ever reason and I don't like that crap nor do I put up with it for anyone under any circumstances. Say what you have to say, don't get personal unless you are looking to pick a fight. Some people still believe in the concept of honor.

If you wanted to have a civil conversation you could just start one like this:
'A few people on my site would like the more options button to just be a preview button and load the fullpage editor with the preview already there because the extra click takes to long.'

And a response to that might be
'well what happens to the an empty editor if it is triggering the preview and there is nothing in the quick editor...'

And you or someone else could have the response 'nothing would happen it would have shown the header class and nothing below it as far as a preview, and the you could edit your page'

Me ...sometimes I want a fresh clean page to start with when making a large post and I don't want to be distracted by what else is on the page...since this hypothetical conversation above happened I would now know that I could click on preview in the full page editor with no text in it and it would show nothing significantly extra to the page so I could probably safely assume that the preview button would work the same way and then have nothing against the idea...

You chose to use sarcasm which is not really the best approach if your trying to convey an idea...in fact I'm 100% sure that people sandbag all of their efforts by doing so in most circumstances.

Okay I skimmed through the thread and see people complaining about the lack of a preview button. The preview button is important for me because there are times when you embed a picture in [ i m g ] bb code and the pic doesn't show up, either because they don't allow hotlinking of files or what. That's why I need the preview button. It's annoying to have to go to another page just to preview to see if the image works. I'll probably figure out a way to code this crap in myself.

I made 3000 posts here and I have not had a problem with the preview the way it is.
It's great that you don't want this feature. That's fine. People are allowed to have different opinions and all. It's why we're in a forum talking about it, right?

Thing is, I do want this feature. Not only me but others who have posted in this thread and people who have requested it on my forum. So unless I make an argument as to why this would be A Good Thing™, than it's not going to happen.

You (and some others) raised a number of reasons as to why this is an unnecessary feature (4 buttons is fugly, just click More Options ->> Preview == problem SOLVED, it's WYSIWYG anyway). I made an argument as to why those reasons aren't necessarily valid.

Rather than create a new thread and have these same arguments get raised all over again, I responded to an existing thread and raised my points directly against those arguments that have already been made. And providing an opportunity for those people who made those arguments to respond and make their case.

When you say we would like it to be - I don't know who you speak of because I speak for me and not everybody so I don't get who else it could be you speak for when you are the fist person to post in this thread in over a year.
I am speaking on behalf of the users of my forum who have requested this feature.

You chose to use sarcasm which is not really the best approach if your trying to convey an idea...in fact I'm 100% sure that people sandbag all of their efforts by doing so in most circumstances.
I responded to your attitude ("I bet I use previews more than you...in fact I am sure of it.") in a relatively harmless way by poking fun at it (I could've just called you an arrogant ponce and been done with it). I mean, you didn't really expect me to start arguing with you over who uses previews more...

Did you?

It's great that you don't want this feature. That's fine. People are allowed to have different opinions and all. It's why we're in a forum talking about it, right?

Thing is, I do want this feature. Not only me but others who have posted in this thread and people who have requested it on my forum. So unless I make an argument as to why this would be A Good Thing™, than it's not going to happen.

You (and some others) raised a number of reasons as to why this is an unnecessary feature (4 buttons is fugly, just click More Options ->> Preview == problem SOLVED, it's WYSIWYG anyway). I made an argument as to why those reasons aren't necessarily valid.

Rather than create a new thread and have these same arguments get raised all over again, I responded to an existing thread and raised my points directly against those arguments that have already been made. And providing an opportunity for those people who made those arguments to respond and make their case.

I am speaking on behalf of the users of my forum who have requested this feature.

I responded to your attitude ("I bet I use previews more than you...in fact I am sure of it.") in a relatively harmless way by poking fun at it (I could've just called you an arrogant ponce and been done with it). I mean, you didn't really expect me to start arguing with you over who uses previews more...

Did you?
My point was with how many posts I have made at this forum and me not having a problem with the preview...there is also no need to change a button, add one, remove one or relabel it because applying the preview automatically is not going to effect an empty editor instance.....you jumped off the reservation when you reacted in sarcasm and I take offense to that, it is very simple, my point with how many times I have used the preview is in relation to how many posts I have at this forum, it is not a stab at you and I am sorry if you took it that way. You can go look at all of my 3000+ posts and tell me if you honestly think I want to argue about petty things or pick fights or if I am here on the side of greater good. Either way this isn't the time nor the place to talk about what we think of each other's conversational tactics, mannerisms , or choice of words, if you want to say something more to me to those effects please do it in a convo msg.

In long form the mock conversation I wrote in my post above is the same thing forsaken said blatantly
Why not just show a preview when there is already text in the text form when you click more options?

• 'A few people on my site would like the more options button to just be a preview button and load the fullpage editor with the preview already there because the extra click takes to long.'
  • 'well what happens to the an empty editor if it is triggering the preview and there is nothing in the quick editor...'
  • 'nothing would happen it would have shown the header class and nothing below it as far as a preview, and the you could edit your page'

which would fit nicely with what I was actually saying
Me ...sometimes I want a fresh clean page to start with when making a large post and I don't want to be distracted by what else is on the page...

since this hypothetical conversation above happened I would now know that I could click on preview in the full page editor with no text in it and it would show nothing significantly extra to the page so I could probably safely assume that the preview button would work the same way and then have nothing against the idea...

I don't want extra stuff on the actual forum page, but if the more options button automatically loaded the preview I would have no problem with it....

what I was saying is if you are going to add a preview button that adds a preview to the forum page i would not want it to ajax into the bottom of the page because there is no way you can make that look good (page would move to much) I would want it in an overlay or a pop-out window

I don't want extra stuff on the actual forum page, but if the more options button automatically loaded the preview I would have no problem with it....

what I was saying is if you are going to add a preview button that adds a preview to the forum page i would not want it to ajax into the bottom of the page because there is no way you can make that look good (page would move to much) I would want it in an overlay or a pop-out window
I was talking to a coder and he said he'd do it if I paid for it. Your description of how the preview button would work looks nice so I'll show him this if I decide to fork out the cash to get this done.

Top Bottom