Lack of interest Preview hover on last post Unread

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Morgain

I love the way I can hover a new thread and preview the first post to see what it's about.
But after that the feature is much less useful though occasionally welcome as a reminder.

It would be nice to hover a link "VIew last Unread?"

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
From a technical standpoint, it would be rather expensive as far as resources go to calculate which post is the first unread for every thread, every time the list of threads is displayed. It's why the link that takes you to the first unread post for each thread isn't a direct link to the post, rather a link that calculates what it is only when actually needed (when you click it) and redirects you there.

From a technical standpoint, it would be rather expensive as far as resources go to calculate which post is the first unread for every thread, every time the list of threads is displayed. It's why the link that takes you to the first unread post for each thread isn't a direct link to the post, rather a link that calculates what it is only when actually needed (when you click it) and redirects you there.
So in essence if view last unread on hover was implemented it would have to do the calculation to and then load the proper post vs. how it currently works which is on hover to load up the first in the thread?

More or less, yes. Although I forgot the preview is an AJAX call, so the calculation of which post is the first unread would only need to be done "on demand" (when the preview is requested)... because of that it wouldn't be a huge resource hit, but still a little one.

Also, from a UI standpoint, I think it might be a little weird when the preview is showing what some users would perceive as random posts.

yeah I can second that it would be very random.......but the problem of that does give me a hell of an idea for an addon...but it is way out of the scope of what I can handle atm so I'll just write it down and throw it in the old ' for later' pile.

Top Bottom