Presale question Regarding Video upload

Hello,

I am right now at the final steps of the creative concept of a forum idea i am working on. One of the main things i would like though a add-on or built in it to be able to have Users upload videos in MPG/WMV/FLV, etc and have it attached and embed in posts they make.

Insisted of for example uploading to youtube and embedding the video from there. I would very much like to use Xenforo if this is possible in some form. If its not are there other forum software’s such as IPB etc that can?

Thank you

I have made my own local media embedding solution using flowplayer , a couple of custom templates , and an upload script that allows for videos to embedded locally that also outputs the bbcode to embed it with when completed.

I can put it back up to show you but for now I am working on other customizations so the installation only has the bbcode for the video container types I have allowed thus far which are flv m4v and mp4. I am sure it is completely possible for a coder to make a simple upload and embed addon that would do what you are saying.

This is using flowplayer here.
http://xenxero.com/forum/index.php?threads/test.4/

Thank you for the response. The flowplayer is defiantly a interesting example. Another question regarding MYSQL query cache. Does Xenforo see any improvement in query speed when enable query cache on MYSQL it and how is Xenforo with Windows IIS and caching. I noticed on some "free" forums respond differently. For example in SMF i received extremely long "Time to First Byte" vs PHPBB where i did not experience the same problem.

Beside that question i am satisfied with Xenforo demo so fare.

Well I will tell you this much...as far as very technical information goes I would not be the person to ask as I am not a coder or a web expert. The questions you pose should be answered by someone of a higher caliber than myself...however by the same token...just by the nature of your questions I would say you are way ahead of me technically speaking so jumping to a conclusion I would say that you are ready for your own installation :-). I wouldn't even consider another forum platform after grabbing xf. I can't give you the answer your looking for but I can say that xenforo is lightning fast compared to anything I have tried in the past.

Hopefully someone can jump in here and give you the info you are looking for.

I have made my own local media embedding solution using flowplayer , a couple of custom templates , and an upload script that allows for videos to embedded locally that also outputs the bbcode to embed it with when completed.

First of all let me say, well done for being a fellow Mugen fan!

Secondly I'm very interested in this option but if you say you're not a very technical person technical person then that makes me a total luddite. I had a few questions...

1) What are the upload limits in size and length of file.

2) Is it very demanding on the server, does it slow down the site if lots of users are using it?

3) How many videos have you uploaded or are you planning to upload?

First of all let me say, well done for being a fellow Mugen fan!
I am working on a custom version presently :) (Mugen-Xer0)
Secondly I'm very interested in this option but if you say you're not a very technical person then that makes me a total luddite. I had a few questions...
Not really because someone could easily pick up on what I have done and do anything with it as anything I post here is pretty much fair game unless I were to post it specifically not allowed which I don't think you will ever see from me. At any rate someone may read this post and go do something about it so who knows..but it is definitely not out of line to ask. It is better than assuming :)
1) What are the upload limits in size and length of file.
Default for php is 8 MB I believe you would have to change this value in the php.ini file or ask your webhost to do this simple setting for you. Other than that it is really on what your server can handle. I believe it is possible with JS to allow only specific resolution ranges on upload but I would have to look into that. In the script no limits on time and size is set by byte value right in the script with a quick edit...you would just change that to whatever you want to allow in bytes up to what your php.ini file limits you at.
2) Is it very demanding on the server, does it slow down the site if lots of users are using it?
Well generally speaking I have not had any problems with flowplayer watching 130 min videos simultaneously with a few people abroad while a couple dozen other sites are running on my vps which is not a beast by any means...it is average. As far as the load...you could use moderate to low resolution as allowed upload abilities with some additional scripting.

You bring an interesting point and I will have to gather a crew to try and crash my server via the load of the video to see what it takes...that and finish learning up on how to construct a full addon :) Uploads themselves don't really effect me greatly at all but to me uploading a movie is the same as an image just bigger really so it is a longer duration until the upload is complete.

Now re-encoding a video would swallow up some resources for sure but the requirements are also very different from those of uploading a web friendly video to be called into a container that a js snippet will convert into a Flowplayer container.
3) How many videos have you uploaded or are you planning to upload?
Well I am just learning and don't really run too many permanent sites. In instance I have had many hundreds of videos on a server in the past. I also have another server that's whole purpose is to store my videos. It is great for centralizing resources and most of the video load appends to the server while actually hosting the flowplayer files is done on the site's server leaving a very small footprint: that or delivered from a cdn. At one point all I did was use my server for mobilizing my video collection. For those same reasons I have not tested it with hundreds of people viewing videos simultaneously but now that you bring up load...I think I may try to get a few people to see how she holds up. At the current moment I upload videos to test player configuration and usually delete them quickly but the amount of videos actually on the server really just boils down to how much space do you have.

Hope some of that helps you and actually thank you for your questions. Anyone that can correct anything I have said above feel free to.

I've never got into video hosting and I cant seem to get my head round this CDN and local vid player stuff. I have some HD style videos of between 10 and 20 mins each.

I currently have about 200. I want to host them locally on my own site (via XF or even WordPress or Joomla) but I dont know what that would cost me or how it would work.

I'd be grateful if there was anyone that could give me a simple idiots guide to how such a setup would work.

What are the player containers for these videos you have ( .flv .mp4 etc )?
They must be of a specific format that is able to be played streaming from the web.

If you only need play videos you as the site owner will be uploading...you wouldn't even need a script since you already have ftp access to your server. You would just connect over the ftp protocol to your server and transfer the files to a directory for your videos. Then setup your players.

I tend to babble on the irrelevant but I suppose I could come up with a better guide than this one which is utilized via a bbcode or maybe explain what each step is and what it's function is relevant to the mod.

If you upload a video to your server I can make you a standalone setup that you can upload and play with...if you break it you would simply... delete the directory on your server , extract the zip again and re-upload it so you can get back to playing with the setup. This is precisely how I learned/am still learning. What I understand thus far I can notate in the standalone setup document which should give you the basic idea of what you need to do.

Do you have skype? It would be easy to help you there and it will help me figure out what I would need to include in the way of a simple guide for beginners as that is what I am. If not let me know. We can figure something out.

No unfortunately I dont have Skype and although I'm not very technical, there are a couple of guys on our team who are pretty decent with that side of things.

Basically what I'm looking to do is create webpages which contain a playable audio/video file followed by a script of the video/audio. There would be an associated thread in the XF forum and the replies to that thread would appear as comments on the video/audio page.

The video files are .mp4 and the audio files .mp3 and either me or my team would be uploading them to the server ourselves. Currently we have upto 20,000 uniques a month but I dont know how many of those would be watching video/audio on our site. And besides we would be putting the videos behind a registration process to reward the registered users and avoid straining our server too much.

What I'm unsure of is how many people would be able to view the same video at the same time and if there are 100 people viewing videos at the same time then how would that affect the serverload? These are probably really basic questions, so sorry if they're annoying.

Top Bottom