Lack of interest Prefix Filters per Forum-Category

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

erich37

Suggestion:

Prefix Filters per Forum-Category

- this Filter shows Prefixes across Forums in a specific Forum-Category.
- clicking on a Prefix, will return all threads (with certain Prefix) from ALL Forums which are in a specific Forum-Category.

This works very similar as it is already implemented at the "Resource Manager" (e.g. when you can search for "Styles" which are either "Paid" or "Free" via the Filters-Dropdown).
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/styles.29/?type=paid

prefix_filters_per_node_dropdown.webp

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
How exactly is this supposed to work?

The forums list shows just the last post in that forum, is the filter supposed to show the last post in a forum with that prefix?

What about forums in the same category that don't use the same prefixes or have no prefixes at all? What would display for these?

I don't think the forum list is the right page for prefix filters. Forum view would be more appropriate.

this feature is specifically helpful when you have several Forums in a "Forum-Category" which utilize the same Prefixes.

this feature is specifically helpful when you have several Forums in a "Forum-Category" which utilize the same Prefixes.
Maybe, but you still need to answer the question on what would happen when there are forums which don't use the same prefixes. This suggestion needs to work for any forum, no matter how it is set up, if there is any chance for it to be implemented.

I'm struggling to see the point of it.

What is the point of filtering on a prefix if only a single thread latest post is going to be displayed?

I agree with Martok - it can only really work in the forum view.

The screenshot and the suggestion do not make sense.

It works for the Resource Manager as there is a list of resource which can be filtered.

There is no list of threads on the forum index.

Example:

http://10times.com/events

At the top of this website you have 4 fields which you can filter.
Additionally you have a "Date" (months) by which you can filter.

How to make a similar structure in XF and having 5 filtering options available in one place ?

Here we go again, trying to justify a poorly described suggestion and changing it from the original post en route...

That link bears no relation whatsoever to the forum list on XenForo.

This suggestion will not work on the Forum List. It could work on the forum view.

Seriously @erich37 you really need to step back and put in some more thought to your suggestions before posting them.

What he really wants is MyBB's Tabbed Forums/Categories/Whatever they are called.. Not a bad suggestion but I think its more suitable as a add-on. Not all communities would require the prefix kind of option you've suggestion :).

Here we go again, trying to justify a poorly described suggestion and changing it from the original post en route...

That link bears no relation whatsoever to the forum list on XenForo.

This suggestion will not work on the Forum List. It could work on the forum view.

Seriously @erich37 you really need to step back and put in some more thought to your suggestions before posting them.

No need for you to be unfriendly and insulting me.
If you do not understand the suggestion and its connection to the example given, why do you post in this thread at all ?

No need for you to be unfriendly and insulting me.
If you do not understand the suggestion and its connection to the example given, why do you post in this thread at all ?
Suggestions are there to be commented on, especially if they don't make sense or members disagree with them as there is no unlike button.

If you take my first paragraph as insulting then so be it. It wasn't meant to be, it just happens to be true if you look at a few of your suggestions.

The second and third paragraphs are statements of fact. The last one is advice that you really should take.

Suggestions from anyone need to be well thought out and explained, taking into account the consequences of implementation on all forum users, not just the forum of the person making the suggestion. Otherwise the suggestions forums are just flooded with dross for the developers to wade through and the potential for both them and other members on this site to miss those gems that really should be added to the XenForo core. :)

Top Bottom