Pre Sales Question; Single Sign On

3c

First let me say that from everything I've read so far, XF is the forum software I want to have. IF I can get it setup to work the way I need it to.

Is there anyway to make XF authenticate off of another software's subscriber list? I am currently running Geodesic software and I need to keep it setup as the "frontend" where the users register/login, and then once they do, they can also access the XF forum.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

That's what I figured. Let me contact my Geo guys and see what I can come up with. They already have a bridge that works for vB and phorum, but I have no idea what would be involved in making one for XF. If not I guess I'll be stuck with vB and from what I've been reading lately, that's a bummer.

Any recommendations on the XF side of who could write the add-on I need if given the necessary Geo information? Would love to get some cost/time estimates...

ok thanks...my first thought was the XenFluence trio, (yes, I've been reading a lot around here), but it looks like they may be a tad busy. That blog add-on will be high on my list if I am able to go with XF..

Thanks for the help Brogan.

First let me say that from everything I've read so far, XF is the forum software I want to have. IF I can get it setup to work the way I need it to.

Is there anyway to make XF authenticate off of another software's subscriber list? I am currently running Geodesic software and I need to keep it setup as the "frontend" where the users register/login, and then once they do, they can also access the XF forum.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!
Anything is possible.
We have a SSO that uses Drupal and a separate membership database.
We set the permissions in our membership database that carry over to xenforo each time a person log in.
Yes, anything is possible.

My problem is that I'm a business man and just a programmer wannabe..LOL...and this is way outside my realm of experience coding wise. I guess I'll find out what the Geo folks need to know about XF and find someone from around here to see what they need to know about Geo and see if I can afford either! :)

After catching up on the lastest news in the forum software world, I *really* don't want to have to go the vB route....

http://geodesic.com/

http://geodesicsolutions.com/geo_us...rent-vBulletin-Sync-options&p=31439#post31439
- shows you can bridge vBulletin + Geodesic.
- you have to log into Geodesic and it logs you into vBulletin.
- if you log into vBulletin, you won't be logged into Geodesic (looks like people could set it up though, would require custom work).

sample: Geodesic + vBulletin. http://geodesicsolutions.com/geo_us...or-vBulletin-and-Geodesic&highlight=vbulletin

If you feel that the forums will play a major role in your site .... then I'd go with xenforo. You'd have to pay for a custom bridge. Hard to say who would make it. xfrocks would be ideal :) he's probably busy. I have no idea about costs ... I wonder if it might be pricey because geodesic seems like niche software to me.

If cost is a major issue, I might stick with vBulletin. You could point all the xenforo logins to geodesic probably through editing xenforo templates. If the stock vBulletin bridge isn't great ... maybe then go the custom xenforo bridge route.

Xenforo is certainly cheaper to run than vBulletin as it is very server CPU friendly. I was surprised there was no phpBB3 - Geodesic bridge.

Good luck :)

yea..going with vB won't be a problem as far as the Geo software goes. It's setup to just turn off registrations in vB and run it all through the Geo front end, or something like that. And I may end up having to go that way if costs get too prohibitive. But it's worth looking into. My previous esteem of vB has greatly diminished now that I've caught up on current events and besides, I really like the way this XF looks....

on the CAS, sheesh, that's so simple you'd think the whole net would go to it anyway, unless there are security concerns or something. Looks just too darn practical!!

thanks for the info!

I didn't see Geodesic on the "CASified" with phpCAS list.
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/CASC/Applications+CASified+with+phpCAS
That doesn't bode well for the CAS method of bridging.
You are probably best to make a bridge similar to the vBulletin geodesic bridge.

Make a resource request http://xenforo.com/community/forums/resource-requests.39/
with the title: [Paid] Geodesic - Xenforo forum login integration bridge (similar to vBulletin bridge)
see if it attracts some developers ... or someone else with the same needs (to help fund the development). Make similar requests at geodesic forums such as http://geodesicsolutions.com/
The people that make the vBulletin bridge would probably be able to make the xenforo bridge.

Good luck.

Yea, I looked in the manual and there is no mention of CAS at all, so it's probably going to boil down to the same type bridge they already have. I've already got an email in.

I can't post that in the resources request forum as that is a license holder area. Anyway, we'll see how it goes....

thanks!

As well, the cost of Xenforo itself will be chump change vs the cost of the bridge :)
Now see, I've been trying to not think about that part and you had to go and bring it up! LOL...
and yea, it's possible that budgetary concerns may force me to go the vB route anyway, regardless of how much I don't want to...

never a dull moment in website development, huh....

Your Geodesic software looks a wee bit clunky.
The slowness of vBulletin might just fit well with your setup :)
The speed and engagement of Xenforo might just be too much for your deployment to handle. ;)

I would use vBulletin under certain circumstances.

BB preference:
(1) xenforo
(2) phpBB3
(3) MyBB
(4) SMF
(...)
(...)
(99) Cork BB: (with colored pins, white lined paper from ringed binder)
bulletin-board.jpg

(100) [[ TIE ]] vBulletin 4 / Nothing.

I had another thought about this today....if someone wanted to build a Geo/XF bridge, if they don't know Geo software, that they could take the Geo/vB bridge that is already available and it would tell them all they would need to know for the Geo side of it. For that matter, maybe it would be just as simple to take said bridge and just convert it to XF???

Hmm...is there a SomethingElse/XF bridge around here already? You would think between those two bridges you'd have everything that each software needed to do the authentications.....

yea, I know..I'm rambling thoughts here....what can I say..I did a 200 mile bike ride today so I had thinking time...LOL

Top Bottom