Pre-Sales FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
1. How much does a license cost? Do I have to renew it every year?
The current prices are listed on the purchase page. Once purchased, a license can be used indefinitely for no additional cost; it is not necessary to renew it annually.
Included with the initial purchase are 12 months of support and updates. After that time, you can continue to use the license but in order to download newer versions and benefit from ticket support, a 1 year extension would have to be purchased. Extension cost depends on whether any official add-ons are attached to the license.

We also have a Cloud service.
See the separate FAQ here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-cloud-faq.212100/

2. Are there any discounts available?
Yes, discounts are available for three or more licenses.

Licenses ownedPrice per license
1 - 2$160
3 - 5$150
6 - 10$140
11+$130

3. Is there a demo available?
Yes, you can create a free online demo.

4. How can I check if my host supports XenForo?
The server requirements and a test script are available on the purchase page. The script will confirm that your server meets the PHP requirements; you will need to confirm the MySQL version independently. Please note that MySQLi is required. If your server does not meet all the requirements, you must contact your host and ask them to enable any missing functions. If they can't, or won't, you will have to find a new host.

5. How many installations can I make with a single license?
Each license permits you to install the software once. However, you may create additional test installations for testing and development purposes only.
Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, installed at a URL that makes the testing purpose clear, not used for production purposes and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.
See the License agreement for the entire scope.
Note that test installations may show a message in the ACP as follows: "The Board URL option does not match the site URL configured for your license."
That message can't be disabled but it can just be ignored.

6. Can multiple domains or subdomains be used with a single license?
Yes, as long as the domains or subdomains all resolve to the same installation, all of the content is available at every domain or subdomain, and there is no attempt to make them appear as separate installations.

7. Can I purchase official add-ons at a later date?
Yes, official add-ons can be purchased at any time.

8. Do I need to enter the domain URL of where I intend to install the forum when I download the software?
Licenses should always be up to date with the domain where the software is installed.
If you don't currently have a domain, have it installed locally, or don't intend to install it at this time, you can use localhost/127.0.0.1.

9. Can I change the domain or URL where the software is installed?
Yes, as long as you remove the original installation before installing it elsewhere. Ensure you update the license details in your Customer account.

10. Which importers/converters are available?
The following official importers are available as a free add-on from your customer account:
  • XenForo 2.x
  • vBulletin 3.6 to 5.3
  • IPS 4.x
  • phpBB 3.2
  • SMF 2.0
  • MyBB 1.8

XFRM has the following importers built in:
  • XenForo Resource Manager 2.0
  • XenForo Resource Manager 2.1

XFMG has the following importers built in:
  • Invision Community Gallery 4.x
  • Photopost Pro 8.x
  • Photopost vBGallery for vBulletin
  • vBulletin Albums 3.8
  • vBulletin Albums 4.2
  • XenForo Media Gallery 2.0
  • XenForo Media Gallery 2.1

There are also several unofficial importers available as third party add-ons from the Resource Manager.

11. How can I convert my forum to XenForo if an importer doesn't exist?
You can convert to a compatible version of any supported software first, then use one of the official importers.
Note that if converting to vBulletin, ImpEx doesn't preserve group permissions, so users will have no permissions when they are imported to vBulletin and that will carry over to XenForo. You should carefully review the permissions of all imported users and user groups, or you can simply delete the imported user groups and any members will default to the Registered user group in XF. Similarly, passwords may also not be preserved.

12. What is imported? What will happen to thread prefixes, albums, blogs, etc.?
Only the content in the steps listed is imported, all other content will be ignored. Refer to the Importing section of the XenForo Manual and the unofficial importers for more information.

13. Will member passwords be lost after importing?
Multiple password schemes are supported, so if the system you are importing from uses a compatible password system, then all existing passwords will continue to work as before. The official importers are supported. Refer to the Importing section of the XenForo Manual for more information.

14. What will happen to the old URLs after importing? Will they continue to work or will I lose traffic?
Various redirection scripts are available here, so all traffic will be automatically redirected, minimizing the impact of migrating. Refer to the Importing section of the XenForo Manual for more information.
Custom rewrites can be requested in the import support forum.

15. What is the Resource Manager?
Refer to this page of the XenForo Manual for a high level explanation.
You can see it in use on our forum here.

16. Is there a CMS, blog or gallery?
There is an official XenForo Media Gallery add-on.
The basic features are covered in the XenForo Manual.

17. Why can't I post, view or download attachments from the Resource Manager or customer forums.
These forums are restricted to licensed customers and associated members only. Up to four forum user names can be associated with each customer account, enabling license owners to grant access for their site staff.

18. I have a license yet I can't post, view or download attachments from the Resource Manager or customer forums.
Ensure you have associated your forum user name with your customer account. It can take up to 10 minutes to process.

19. How can I check whether a customer has a valid license?
Obtain a license validation token from the license owner and enter it here.

Last updated: Thursday 2 February 2023

Clarification on annual extension renewal costs.

The prices currently in effect until January 2019 are as follows:
  • XF $35
  • XFMG $15
  • XFRM $15
  • XFES $10

Examples
If you only have an XF license with no add-ons, the cost to renew is $35.

An XF license with XFMG will cost $35 + $15 = $50

An XF license with XFRM will cost $35 + $15 = $50

An XF license with XFES will cost $35 + $10 = $45

An XF license with XFMG and XFRM will cost $35 + $15 + $15 = $65

An XF license with XFMG, XFRM, and XFES will cost $35 + $15 + $15 + $10 = $75

The same applies to any other combination of add-ons linked to an XF license.

After January 2019, the cost will revert to the prices listed on the purchase page: https://xenforo.com/purchase/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom