Posts per page

Enigma

Is there / will there be a "posts per page" setting? Or is a hard-coded posts-per-page number the solution to having canonical URLs for the different pages of a thread?

I as because I prefer having about 100 posts per page, letting it load and reading it all without have to click any more.

Hard coded posts-per-page is necessary for fully canonical links, as well for usability. As an example, recently someone sent me a link to a page in a forum and pointed me at a particular post, but it wasn't on my page...

Hard coded posts-per-page is necessary for fully canonical links, as well for usability. As an example, recently someone sent me a link to a page in a forum and pointed me at a particular post, but it wasn't on my page...
That's what I assumed, and I understand the reasons why it's necessary.

:( I prefer having a lot more posts per page than most forums have as default
So do I, but there are good reasons for doing it the way it is.

If there is a way to increase the number of posts displayed I would be for it - I too like the 100 posts per page ability and find it annoying to have to keep clicking onto a new page to follow a discussion.

There are some subtle reasons for the fixed # of posts. That makes a few of the features easier to implement in the 'have you seen' forum, at least that is my impression.

Personally I am so/so about hardcoding it.

It's not hard-coded, but it's a forum-wide option, rather than a per-user option. That way, when a user asks you to look at a post on page 4, it will be on page 4 for everybody else. If you allow users to choose their own per-page count, that principle is destroyed.

Top Bottom