1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posts per page

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Enigma, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Is there / will there be a "posts per page" setting? Or is a hard-coded posts-per-page number the solution to having canonical URLs for the different pages of a thread?

I as because I prefer having about 100 posts per page, letting it load and reading it all without have to click any more.

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Hard coded posts-per-page is necessary for fully canonical links, as well for usability. As an example, recently someone sent me a link to a page in a forum and pointed me at a particular post, but it wasn't on my page...

Enigma likes this.
  3. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

:( I prefer having a lot more posts per page than most forums have as default

4. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

That's what I assumed, and I understand the reasons why it's necessary.

So do I, but there are good reasons for doing it the way it is.

5. Chris M

Chris M Active Member

If there is a way to increase the number of posts displayed I would be for it - I too like the 100 posts per page ability and find it annoying to have to keep clicking onto a new page to follow a discussion.

6. Floris

Floris Guest

Personally I am so/so about hardcoding it.

7. Chris M

Chris M Active Member

I can see the advantages but as a user it is something that I would like to be able to determine myself :confused:

8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

There are some subtle reasons for the fixed # of posts. That makes a few of the features easier to implement in the 'have you seen' forum, at least that is my impression.

9. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's not hard-coded, but it's a forum-wide option, rather than a per-user option. That way, when a user asks you to look at a post on page 4, it will be on page 4 for everybody else. If you allow users to choose their own per-page count, that principle is destroyed.

10. Floris

Floris Guest

Oh, then I misunderstood what Mike meant. Per forum is just fine.

11. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's not quite that either, sorry if i was unclear ;)

Right now it's a system-wide option.

12. Floris

Floris Guest

The user can not make a choice. Is what it sums up to.

13. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Pretty much yeah.

14. Chris M

Chris M Active Member

I'd like a choice ;)

15. Disjunto

which sucks :(

16. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Maybe, but it makes sense. :p

17. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Yes, it sucks, but there are definitely good reasons for it. If they allowed user to change the number of posts per page, it would generate another set of problems.

18. Disjunto

nothing that I haven't already gotten used to :)

19. Deriel

Deriel Well-Known Member

Very few of my users (if anyone at all) use that config in vB. System wide is ok to me :cool:

20. Sejper

Sejper Active Member

Like Floris I missunderstood I thought it was hardcoded but its good that its hardcoded in the acp settings :p