XF 1.1 Posting message gets stuck

Dakis

Sometimes when posting a reply to a thread, it gets stuck after hitting the submit button - the area between the last post and the quick reply form is left blank and I get the "loading" button on the top right corner hanging there for ever.

If I refresh the page, I can see my reply has been posted. This has been reported by some of my members, but it happens in a non-regular basis, so it's impossible to track down its origin.

Has anyone ever come across this, is there an add-on related to this behavior?

It's happening with all browsers, I'm currently using Chrome. The problem is i need to do many many posts to come across it once, so I'm kind of scratching my head as to how I can troubleshoot this - I would need to return to XF default status, then posting like crazy, make sure it doesn't come up, then activate one add-on and do it all over again, etc. I assume there's no easier way, but I wanted to see if anyone else has come across this.

Anything in the log?

Admin CP -> Tools -> Server Error Log

Posting delays can be the result of lots of email notifications being sent out and/or a slow or failed connection to the mail server. You can test this by adding this line to the library/config.php file to disable emails:

Code:
$config['enableMail'] = 0;

If that fixes the problem then you know it was caused by email notifications.

No unfortunately nothing in the log.

Thanks for the mail suggestion Jake, I'll try it. If that's the issue, is there anything I can do to fix it? Like for example put in a slight delay in to the email notifications?

No unfortunately nothing in the log.

Thanks for the mail suggestion Jake, I'll try it. If that's the issue, is there anything I can do to fix it? Like for example put in a slight delay in to the email notifications?

In the case of a failed mail connection, get with your mail host to confirm the SMTP info:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Email Options -> Email Transport Method

A failed connection would normally show in the log though, and you say there is nothing in there.

Otherwise probably just wait for 1.2 which will feature a mail queue. That will alleviate problems of high mail volume, assuming that is the problem. It is still speculation at this point.

Top Bottom