• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Post Without Registering

Blackbeard

Hello there,

I would like to request a mod, that would allow users to post using xenforo a thread or reply...but require them to register to complete the act of posting. This would be a way to help entice new users to the board.

I have no problems paying for the modification if someone did not wish to publish it publicly.
$50 bounty from my end is the offer, unless other arrangements are made.

Hello there,

I would like to request a mod, that would allow users to post using xenforo a thread or reply...but require them to register to complete the act of posting. This would be a way to help entice new users to the board.

I have no problems paying for the modification if someone did not wish to publish it publicly.
$50 bounty from my end is the offer, unless other arrangements are made.

I am a little confused, because the title says something else than your post. Anyway, if you disallow guests to post then they will have to register to be able to post. Or did you mean something else? If so, please can you elaborate a little further?

I believe the OP wants guests to be able to enter their post in the text editor, but when clicking "Post Reply", they are redirected to the registration screen and informed that their post won't become visible until they register.

This sounds like a frustrating user experience. The idea is good but I can see it backfiring for those users who don't like to be teased or toyed with. If I come to your site and find a post that contains important information, I am going to try to post. I would notice the post a reply button is active for me (even though I am not registered) and I think...wow maybe I can actually post anonymously here. I fill out all of my remarks and information only to hit "Post Reply" and get an registration page...

I lose all of what I had written and I'm now forced to register on top of that. I am not a happy camper...

The idea is too good but as John said visitors wont be happy with this.

May be just show them Post reply box with not activated message editor, and when a guest click on message editor to write something, show Log in/Join box via overlay popup.

I lose all of what I had written and I'm now forced to register on top of that. I am not a happy camper...

I think the idea of it being a mod is that you wouldn't lose everything... It might be a really good idea if for unregistered members it shows the login/register form above the quick reply, so you can post as part of the registration! This would streamline the registration process and by showing the reply box would intise the user more than just a "please register to post" message!

You can control attachments but not links or pictures without a custom modification, total list you can control in regards to forum are..

Forum Permissions
  • Like posts:
  • Post new thread:
  • Post replies:
  • Edit post by self:
  • Delete thread by self:
  • Delete post by self:
  • View attachments to posts:
  • Upload attachments to posts:
  • Vote on polls:

Neither of those are configurable permissions at user or user group level.

It would require an add-on to strip the link & image bbcode from the post if posted by a guest, or maybe throw an error if it is found... What would be cool is if a user can claim all posts they made as a guest after signing up!

Top Bottom