Possibly moving to Xenforo

Type RA

Hi folks,

I run a small forum currently using vB 4.2. I foolishly made the jump from vB 3.8(IIRC) lots of plugins/mods broke so now I'm looking at Xenforo.

I've had a look around the forum & all looks good but I have a couple of questions.

1. Image uploading/resizing from desktop/tablet/mobile. How user friendly is this? Our users struggle with the vB image uploader & I'd prefer to keep images on the site so not have folks use Photobucket et al
2. vBSEO. Will Xenforo rewrite the URLs & generate the sitemaps?

Probably more questions to follow.

Thanks in advance.

Dean

1. I'm not sure what you mean, but images resize and fit on the screen according to space available.
2. You will need to add redirects for vBSEO. Users can help you create these.

XenForo does not include a site maps feature, you will need an add-on if you so believe you need a site map.

Hi folks,

I run a small forum currently using vB 4.2. I foolishly made the jump from vB 3.8(IIRC) lots of plugins/mods broke so now I'm looking at Xenforo.

I've had a look around the forum & all looks good but I have a couple of questions.

1. Image uploading/resizing from desktop/tablet/mobile. How user friendly is this? Our users struggle with the vB image uploader & I'd prefer to keep images on the site so not have folks use Photobucket et al

Thanks in advance.

Dean
XenForo by default without any add-on or modification requirements will indeed resize your site to fit any screen size. XenForo style is by default a responsive design. So this means people will be able to visit your site and see attachments embed and it will format to their screen size :)

There is an add-on (free) that will indeed help your site automatically host images people link to.
So you will not be at the mercy of outside sources (such as photobucket).
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/metamirror.2117/

You can keep your re-write rules (that is to say, redirect your old links) and there is also an add-on for sitemaps
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/sitemap-for-xenforo-1-2-compatible.67/

Last edited:
1. I'm not sure what you mean, but images resize and fit on the screen according to space available.
2. You will need to add redirects for vBSEO. Users can help you create these.

XenForo does not include a site maps feature, you will need an add-on if you so believe you need a site map.
Thanks Jeremy,

I mean if someone posts a pic from a phone at 3mp for example does Xenforo have the ability to resize as per Facebook or the Wordpress app.

Sitemaps seem to work for me/us so if an addon is available it would be great.

The software attempts to resize it to fit your required restraints, but no, XenForo does not have any photo editing tools. The upload is a simple upload that takes the image and attaches it to the site and creates a thumbnail and full version for use.

Thanks Jeremy,

I mean if someone posts a pic from a phone at 3mp for example does Xenforo have the ability to resize as per Facebook or the Wordpress app.

Sitemaps seem to work for me/us so if an addon is available it would be great.
Yes, XenForo will automatically resize the image inside the post. It will however not directly edit a photo if that is what you are asking.

XenForo by default without any add-on or modification requirements will indeed resize your site to fit any screen size. XenForo style is by default a responsive design. So this means people will be able to visit your site and see attachments embed and it will format to their screen size :)

There is an add-on (free) that will indeed help your site automatically host images people link to.
So you not be at the mercy of outside sources (such as photobucket).

You can keep your re-write rules (that is to say, redirect your old links) and there is also an add-on for sitemaps
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/sitemap-for-xenforo-1-2-compatible.67/

Thanks guys,

To clarify.

Over the years we've lost lots of great informative images hosted on photobucket etc. Facebook makes it as easy as pie to add images to posts from phones/tablets etc. If Xenforo does this I'm a happy bunny. Currently the vB image upload/hosting scares people away so they use pb etc. Image editing is not required.

Thanks

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.

Dean

If i am not wrong, I think he is asking about resizing is:

If you upload an image in wordpress - it resizes in different sizes ( 125x125, 200x125 ...)for thumbnails and other uses in different dimensions.

So, if you upload an image in xenforo. Will it save the image as the same uploaded size or will it resize and save in multiple dimensions..?

Hope i am not wrong.

Thanks guys,

To clarify.

Over the years we've lost lots of great informative images hosted on photobucket etc. Facebook makes it as easy as pie to add images to posts from phones/tablets etc. If Xenforo does this I'm a happy bunny. Currently the vB image upload/hosting scares people away so they use pb etc. Image editing is not required.

Thanks
By design, XenForo does use a responsive design so your members will easily be able to upload or link photos using their mobile devices. If you're worried about the source suddenly going away, use the add-on I linked. :)

If you upload an image in wordpress - it resizes in different sizes ( 125x125, 200x125 ...)for thumbnails and other uses in different dimensions.

So, if you upload an image in xenforo. Will it save the image as the same uploaded size or will it resize and save in multiple dimensions..?

Hope i am not wrong.
XenForo it's self will not physically resize the image (as far as I know if).

It will however, through the responsive design format it to fit your screen size.

For example this image is 1920 x 1080, but regardless of what your screen size is, it will fit.

Screenshot from 2013-11-21 22:15:35.webp

Hope i am not wrong.
Pretty much:)
If someone adds an image from a phone the filesize is likely to be 3meg(ish) unless the user samples it down. My question is will Xenforo sample it down so a 60k image is served & not the uploaded 3mb image?

Pretty much:)
If someone adds an image from a phone the filesize is likely to be 3meg(ish) unless the user samples it down. My question is will Xenforo sample it down so a 60k image is served & not the uploaded 3mb image?
As far as I am aware of, it will not physically change the image. So if it is 3mb it is 3mb

But you can change the allowed file size in the admin control panel (if it one of the settings)

As far as I am aware of, it will not physically change the image. So if it is 3mb it is 3mb

But you can change the allowed file size in the admin control panel (if it one of the settings)
That has caused us problems before. Members don't understand file sizes. They just want to upload pics from a phone if it fails they start to cry & don't bother uploading or use PB etc. the addon you linked to wuould help in that respect however. Thanks for that:)

Thanks guys,

To clarify.

Thanks

Top Bottom