Possible XF3 in the not so distant future?

TheRageIsOn

Just a question about a possible XF3.

Is there a version V3 ( Xenforo 3 ) planned or in the pipeline ?

Because i plan on migrating my sites to xenforo in the near future.

Tata ...

Given that they have always said XF 3 would be a major overhaul similar to what we saw with 2, I'm not expecting it any time soon. When I look at the raft of features they were able to add in 2.2 without pushing it to a first level update, I suspect we won't see a 3.x for a long time. 2.3 is where we need to be looking right now in terms of the next big update.

I hope they finally add a proper article CMS to it with similar functionality to WordPress, at least on a basic level.

I love XF, it's awesome, but the lack of this is a real bugbear for me as it's an important feature for me, especially as Invision Community and vBulletin offer functional, if basic, article CMSs.

I hope they finally add a proper article CMS to it with similar functionality to WordPress, at least on a basic level.

I love XF, it's awesome, but the lack of this is a real bugbear for me as it's an important feature for me, especially as Invision Community and vBulletin offer functional, if basic, article CMSs.
Doesn’t XF already do that with the “article mode” of a node? Like this one: https://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/

Doesn’t XF already do that with the “article mode” of a node? Like this one: https://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/

No, that's just the point. They're merely glorified forum posts. I asked about this a year ago. That screenshot is from the vBulletin demo.

Am looking forward to the next one that happens here. XF3 won't be for a while. But when it comes i would love to see it try and use some of vBulletin's features as well. Such as comments under somebody's initial comment.

We'd reserve a major version number change for major architectural changes with significant backward-compatibility implications for add-ons.

The XenForo 2 core serves us very well at this point, so we have no plans to make changes of the kind of scale seen between versions 1 and 2.
If something does happen i'd love to see the profiles when you search up something to let us know that they are either still around or not.

Me too unless it has some feature that automatically makes people write better posts.
The only feature I found that deals with bad posts is the BAN feature. And they have to be really bad before we use it! But I totally agree--there's no cure for the rash of poorly written posts on many forums out there. Some of the automotive forums are the worst. I found one (on VerticalScope, of all places!) that had such poor writing and bad attitudes that I couldn't stomach visiting it for long.

I hope XF3 never happens. Such a pain in the ass rewriting everything for a new framework. I still have 2 sites left on XF1 because of that. :(
I have one remaining on 1.5 only because I've had a few setbacks, one of them being a certain theme developer who pulled support for several addons we had paid for and depended on for the launch. (And since I no longer trust them, I also had to start from ground zero, customizing another third party theme to replace a theme of theirs I had planned on using.) The earliest and biggest delay was for an addon that took a year and a half to get converted from 1.5-compatible to 2.1-compatible. We're launching the upgrade really soon but yeah, I don't want to go through this again either. Hopefully XF2 will outlive me.

The only feature I found that deals with bad posts is the BAN feature. And they have to be really bad before we use it! But I totally agree--there's no cure for the rash of poorly written posts on many forums out there.
I have an original member who writes in a style that is deliberately obtuse. He has been writing posts that way since our predecessor board. He has been warned at time about dragging it into threads where it is not welcome (imagine opening a thread of the old "five word sentence using the last word of the sentence before you" game and finding a three paragraph rant apparently about Trump, though it's always hard to tell the exact subject with him). He's had a couple short bans, mostly due to me actually deciphering his spew and realizing he had lobbed a racist grenade at another member's spouse, but has enough supporters that getting rid of him permanently would be more trouble than it is worth, or so the mods seem to think. I tried to get him permabanned years ago but finally gave up.

Top Bottom