1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Possible Page Editor

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by TheSalt, Aug 15, 2014.

1. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

Hello Gang!

I was wondering if there is some kind of page editor I could use to create pages for my forum. A kind of wysiwyg editor but better than BBCode. I run a marine aquarium and conservation forum and I would like to make pages for featured aquariums and spotlight organizations. I would want to use photos and text that don’t look like a thread, something that allows text to flow around images to fill in blank areas like you would see in a news paper or magazine.

I was thinking maybe wordpress? Is there a way to use word press to create pages and then incorporate them into the forum? Maybe as links in the navigation bar? I would love it if I could have the pages appear as threads in a sub forum but I’m guessing that would be impossible?

I’m not sure if I’m explaining myself well or if it is even possible. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can use Page nodes for that.

You will have to create the content using HTML and CSS though.

TheSalt likes this.
  3. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

TheSalt likes this.
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

melbo, TheSalt and Chris D like this.
  5. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Pages accept bb code to? wow that will save me some time in the future..

TheSalt likes this.
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

No. Paul didn't say that.

He said produce it in a thread and then copy and paste the page source (which would be in HTML).

TheSalt likes this.
  7. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

You will have a full html editor (ck editor) in this addon which has an option to enable Bb Code in pages.

TheSalt likes this.
  8. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

WOW! Thank you all for these great ideas! I'm going to look them over and see which one I think I can pull off with my limited understanding. I'll let you know what happens! ;)

Many Thanks,
    Nick

9. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

Brogan's Float BBcode is amazing. Creates threads with text that wraps around images. Good stuff

TheSalt likes this.
  10. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

There is a big learning curve with a lot of this stuff for me. I now next to nothing about code. My background is in print design, mostly Adobe Illustrator, and some Photoshop. Getting things to look how I want them to on screen with code is currently impossible for me without lots of research and even then my finding are hard for me to understand... but I'm trying to learn.

11. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

Brogan's float BBCode adds a button to your editor. Easy to use after a few test posts to learn the behavior. :)

TheSalt likes this.
  12. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

Have you considered using something like xenzine or maybe even just using the resource manager to publish articles? I use a combination of those two addons to create articles, reviews etc. Along with the bbcode float addon.

TheSalt likes this.
  13. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

Then you could have also a look at this addons [ref 1 - ref 2]. Of course it's not like Quark Xpress ou Indesign but the result is fine.

TheSalt likes this.
  14. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

In deed, I have xenzine running and have for a while now. I'm in the processes of trying some of these great suggestions on the test forum. Thank you all for your help! I'll keep you posted. I'll included my ulr below. I'm not sure how well it looks to others, as I stated earlier this has all been a learning process. The forum has been up since February 7th and is my first.

reefpeeps.com

Many thanks,:)
    Nick

15. Mr Lucky

Looks good to me. What are you using for the home page portal and slider?

TheSalt likes this.
  16. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

Thank you! It's xenporta and there slide block. It is linked to my xenzine articles that have a slide.jpg in the discussion page of the article as an attachment.

17. Mr Lucky

Ah, that sounds interesting. However I did try xenporta and I just got an error, maybe time to try again.

18. Mr Lucky

Looking at your site, I would be tempted to use the resource manager for this. It doesn't have to just be for uploading/downloading resources, they can be like articles. Especially with Brogan's image float CSS.

On my site I have xenzine for articles, but also use the resource manager for reviews, which keeps reviews separate from articles nicely. I also have a few pages for special things such as donation info, a radio station (!) and a more indepth search, as I want them to show up in the node list along with all the forums. But I would want too many, I agree without an editor it's a bit of a pain to hand code the html.

See: http://cafesaxophone.com

TheSalt likes this.
  19. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

I would really like to see the XenForo Resource Manager running on a forum. I don't fully understand what it does.

20. TheSalt

TheSalt Active Member

It looked like it wouldnt work XF 1.3 but I tested it on my test forum anyway. It doesn't work... A little bummed, it looks like it has lots of tools.