XF 1.4 Possible issues with older version of PHP?

learningcurve

I actually asked a rep on my hosting what version my server was running on, and he told me 5.4. I thought sweet, I'll buy this then, and I did. Turns out that he was wrong and I'm running a older version. Now, with the install I get this message:

iVV9VBV.png

Now it says I can begin, but it also tells me I may have issues. What issues may I have? Is it worth giving it a shot? Or have I simply wasted my money?

Just out of curiosity have you considered a new host one that keeps necessary things like PHP up to date? As far as issues I have no clue what might happen. As cheap as hosting is these days you'd be better off getting a new host.

Its a real good thing they are upgrading as you might find issues with some plugins on less than 5.3 as well. I recommend 5.3 if you have some legacy software that's stuck on it otherwise very few reasons not to jump to 5.6. Next versions probably going to break a lot when it comes out though.

I recommend 5.3 if you have some legacy software that's stuck on it otherwise very few reasons not to jump to 5.6. Next versions probably going to break a lot when it comes out though
ehem
Cool, the rep suggested 5.4, so I went with that. I fully expect there to be issues with some of my sites, but I have stuffed them up so completely in the past, that I'm pretty sure I can reslove most of those issues now lol . :D

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

What issues may I have?
Just to answer this anyway, we currently support PHP 5.2 so you shouldn't have fundamental issues, but PHP 5.2 doesn't support the "good" password hashing system and it's slower when formatting dates.

More fundamentally, PHP 5.2 (and now 5.3) have both reached their end of life and are not being supported by the PHP group. Unless your OS is backporting security fixes, there will be security issues in PHP 5.2 and 5.3 that will not be fixed (even if they are backporting, there is always talk of them missing fixes).

Top Bottom