Fixed Positioning with Posts Not Always Consistent on Mozilla Firefox

Amaury

I originally wrote this on another forum I visit that runs XenForo, but this was before I realized non-licensed users could post in this forum. Although I now basically am, as a friend of mine that uses XenForo added me to his customer account last night. :)

I also wanted to add that I haven't noticed the issue here on XenForo, so maybe it was fixed on 1.2.0?

Anyway, I'll just copy-paste what I wrote there, which includes the video: http://kh-vids.net/threads/positioning-issues-with-mozilla-firefox.139922/

AGC said:
Yup, definitely seems to be a browser issue. However, I know that sometimes these can be fixed by Cassie or Mark as there have been browser-specific issues with styles back when we were on vBulletin that got fixed.

Anyway, I made a video regarding this issue. I didn't do as much on the Google Chrome-side as I know for a fact it isn't an issue there, but if you compare it to Mozilla Firefox, you should instantly see the issue. Sometime it does it correctly, but most of the time it doesn't.

The issue is that Mozilla Firefox will most of the time take you to the bottom of the page after making a reply from the advanced editor or clicking on the last post link (the link is the time it was posted), as you'll see in the video, instead of correctly going to your post -- it should always behave like I showed on Google Chrome.

Steps to Reproduce:
  • On Mozilla Firefox, go into a thread
  • Go into the advanced editor
  • Type something that's 20 or more characters, excluding staff since they are exempt from the character limit
  • Click Reply to Thread
  • Don't do anything and let it load

And / Or:

• Go into a forum
  • Click the latest post link (or just the thread link for the last new post)
  • Don't do anything and let it load

In either case, you'll be directed to the bottom of the page instead of your post. If it doesn't do it (as it does indeed do it correctly sometimes), try again or try again in another thread.

Do the same procedures on Google Chrome, and you'll see it's a non-issue.

If anyone else can confirm this themselves, please post here!

If this cannot be fixed, it may be a XenForo issue specifically, in which case, Cassie and Mark, as I know one of you has posting permissions in the support sections on XenForo, could you refer them to this thread containing the video and the steps to reproduce?

Here is the video (be sure to watch it on 480p and full screen):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's a problem that can come up elsewhere potentially, but the issue here appears to be caused by the custom tabs BB code you have. Firefox scrolls the page before the tab content is initialized. When the page shifts because of that, FF doesn't shift with it. In theory, we might be able to workaround it, but I believe we actually tried in the past and ran into other problems.

I will look again but this may well end up being a general browser issue (and triggered primarily by a non-standard component).

It's a problem that can come up elsewhere potentially, but the issue here appears to be caused by the custom tabs BB code you have. Firefox scrolls the page before the tab content is initialized. When the page shifts because of that, FF doesn't shift with it. In theory, we might be able to workaround it, but I believe we actually tried in the past and ran into other problems.

I will look again but this may well end up being a general browser issue (and triggered primarily by a non-standard component).

I wanted to add that this also happens on conversations since they count as "posts," which is obviously for the same reasons (not sure about profile comments, though). Would you like to try posting without the tabs and tables in my signature to confirm it?

Also, just out of curiosity, what was the workaround that caused problems? Additionally, if you can look again, that would be greatly appreciated, but if nothing can indeed be done, then that's fine -- it's not a major issue. I just would like to know if it's an issue to do with tabs why it's not an issue on Google Chrome and whatever other browsers it's a non-issue on?

Thanks for your time, Mike, in general. It's appreciated.

I'm not positive that this is going to stay yet, but I've come up with a workaround that will reposition after loading is complete if you haven't scrolled yet (for the next 1.2 release). It may still trigger some weird things in browsers so it may end up having to be disabled but we'll see.

I'm not positive that this is going to stay yet, but I've come up with a workaround that will reposition after loading is complete if you haven't scrolled yet (for the next 1.2 release). It may still trigger some weird things in browsers so it may end up having to be disabled but we'll see.

Awesome! Thanks, Mike!

I know they are planning on upgrading to 1.2 sometime after the full version is released because of all the fixes and additions in it, so I'll be able to see the workaround in action and will let you know if any further problems pop up!

Top Bottom