Please tell me you will never... Do this....

Adam Howard

TheVisitors on Internet Brands / vBulletin Forum said:
Skimlinks and VerticalResponse

So they've added adware and spam into the core product. Nice going Internet Brands.

1) Internet Brands decided to rely on a 3rd party product, rather then code something

2) Internet Brands decided we should be paying a 3rd party provider to use the product we already paid for from Internet Brands (vBulletin)

3) Security software does not like their 3rd party service provider (some individuals will get a warning or not even be able to access the 3rd party provider's site).

4) Use of their services (the 3rd party provider) has been blocked by some mail servers and by association, your community could also be blocked or classified as spam.

5) Some of the ads by Skimlinks have been flagged by security software, so using it can also get your site flagged

A job well done Internet Brands.
sad.gif

So I just want to know... That XenForo.... Would never do this to their customers?!

(The quote is from a post I made on vBulletin's Support Site)

I'm just surprised, disappointed, and disgusted that rather then encode something of their own making... They have decided to import two (2) 3rd party services, to which users would have to pay to use. And while it is optional to use these 3rd parties, which are not pre-build into their core product... It's like adding adware / spam-ware into their product. But 3rd party companies are flagged as spam through mail servers and some security programs, will even flag them if you try to visit their site (my system would not even load them).

I am 80% sold on the idea of moving away from vBulletin. I would expect to be looking into purchasing either XenForo or Invision Power by the end of the year. I would do so sooner, but as I finally got my community setup as I wanted it and also, I need to do some more research. So comparing them is key and I think a good consumer smart idea.

I just need to see when or if XenForo will develop their own blogging system in the future or at the very least, support and develop a 3rd party integration system.

I read these updates in total disgust.

What realy got me is IB admitted they get a cut of the links clicked. Totally unacceptable, especially considering things like the mobile app are going to have to be paid for.

Its just disrespect for the customers.

It's funny:(
Instead of learning from the bad feedback they gotten from the e-mail stuff, they just included a other thing:D

BUT there customers will need the extra money, if they want to stay with there vB and all the extra stuff....

I think the difference between 3rd party add ons HERE will be that we have an option to not ADD them on if we do not want them. They won't be forced upon us as part of the core product.

IB is not interested in what is good for your community. But rather what they need to make their commercial forum endeavors profitable. I would guess that the reason for more and more third party integration is Ib's own inability to create something that works.

Irony, your last post. Just saying.

Well my community needs a blogging addition. And I am not going to just trust a single developer to keep a modification always up to do. So either XenForo will produce their own Blogging System or they could import an already established blogging suite (Word Press for example).

I understand the irony, but as stated... XenForo does support some 3rd party
Zend Framework
jQuery
TinyMCE
SWFUpload

Provided that the 3rd party is not an attempt to further milk money from its customers and / or run the risk of harming those who use their product & services... I see no harm in it. Sadly, Internet Brands (owners of vBulletin)... Have done just that. I'm looking for XenForo and / or Invision Power to not follow such a path.

Imagine that in this overly positive world. Censoring people to only discuss positive issues is a ridicules notion. If discussing Hell is it fair to say we should not comment on the idea of eternal burning flesh and only discuss the nice warm climate? Just Saying.
I don't suggest censoring. I suggest make your feelings known on vb.com.
I think it's pretty obvious how most of us feel about vb at this point.

In their defense, and I don't know why I'm even bothering, but...

They do say it doesn't cost users anything extra. I doubt they're getting a cut of what you would normally get if you would sign up for the service yourself. I'm guessing they negotiated to receive a small percentage (in addition to your income) for customers they refer.

And while it is optional to use these 3rd parties, which are not pre-build into their core product...

As I understand it, they are mandatory plug ins that can be disabled by the forum owner, and at least the skimlinks one, was developed by skimlinks.

My question is how often is skimlinks going to update that plug-in for vbulletin? How will they handle security updates for it?

Top Bottom