Please tell me you will never... Do this....

Adam Howard

TheVisitors on Internet Brands / vBulletin Forum said:
Skimlinks and VerticalResponse

So they've added adware and spam into the core product. Nice going Internet Brands.

1) Internet Brands decided to rely on a 3rd party product, rather then code something

2) Internet Brands decided we should be paying a 3rd party provider to use the product we already paid for from Internet Brands (vBulletin)

3) Security software does not like their 3rd party service provider (some individuals will get a warning or not even be able to access the 3rd party provider's site).

4) Use of their services (the 3rd party provider) has been blocked by some mail servers and by association, your community could also be blocked or classified as spam.

5) Some of the ads by Skimlinks have been flagged by security software, so using it can also get your site flagged

A job well done Internet Brands.
sad.gif

So I just want to know... That XenForo.... Would never do this to their customers?!

(The quote is from a post I made on vBulletin's Support Site)

If your UK based I would think carefully before using VIG, it's aimed at US people and you have to pay tax on money earned with VIG if your UK based complicating things. Or so I read and why I decided not to use it, you don't have any of that with Skimlinks because they ARE UK based and handle that side of things themselves.

Think I might remove Skimlinks myself completely, it doesn't seem to working on my Tumblr Blog either used there, even though they say it can be used with Tumblr. I've yet to see one single link show up there. :confused:

If your UK based I would think carefully about using VIG, it's more aimed at US people and you have to pay tax on money earned with VIG I read if your UK based and hence why Skimlinks was the better choice for me because you don't ave any of that wit them being UK based. That's what I've read anyway and why I decided not to use VIG.
Yep UK based. Filled out the dec. form W-8 EXP - that was the "best fit" for a UK generic, non complicated forum (as I see it) :D
Skim is better for the UK agreed in that respect, so yep. But they're getting GET hammered it seems.

Are you going for the footer or page_container approach? Not that it makes that much difference - just out of interest.

I think "they've" heard me, GETs have just dropped to around 187ms. ;)
page_container, right before </body>
I've gone footer, last line, so after the </xen:hook>

Skimwords got a little delayed as far as I can recall, especially whilst testing with FireFox 8. IE8 showed them up no worries at all.
Quite recently, they've come back into working. So much so that the link density needed stepping down a notch to "Optimum" from "Maximum" 'cause it went a bit berserk!

I'll test looking at my forum using IE then. I'll give it time to show them still, but I really wanted to only show links to "guests only" using a conditional like I was at first, it also kept them hidden from private forums using the guest conditional seeing as guests don't have access to view private forums e.t.c.

Seems odd though, I'm sure when using Beta 4 or RC versions before the skimlinks worked fine using a conditional wrapped around them and passed the skimlinks test then.

Well I've just removed it from the forum. If your saying it's slowing things down like that, then I don't really want to use it there. I've been having some issues anyway of late with loading times, so don't want to add to it further.

Okey dokey.
Just as a point of reference, I'm running XF1.1.0 with it ok as far as implementation is concerned.
Tested ok throughout all XF1.1.0 beta stages and back to XF1.0.4 - no hiccups apart from Skim making a pig's ear of the job.

I'm using XenForo 1.1.0 Final to, a clean install in fact. Not sure what was going on, but if I use that conditional below wrapped around the JavaScript and placed before </body> in the PAGE_CONTAINER template. When I posted the test link and click to check it's installed correctly. Skimlinks fails it. No matter if I'm logged-in or out with forum before clicking it to run check.

Code:
<xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}">
Skimlinks Code
</xen:if>

There's nothing wrong with that conditional above.

Top Bottom