Please tell me you will never... Do this....

Adam Howard

TheVisitors on Internet Brands / vBulletin Forum said:
Skimlinks and VerticalResponse

So they've added adware and spam into the core product. Nice going Internet Brands.

1) Internet Brands decided to rely on a 3rd party product, rather then code something

2) Internet Brands decided we should be paying a 3rd party provider to use the product we already paid for from Internet Brands (vBulletin)

3) Security software does not like their 3rd party service provider (some individuals will get a warning or not even be able to access the 3rd party provider's site).

4) Use of their services (the 3rd party provider) has been blocked by some mail servers and by association, your community could also be blocked or classified as spam.

5) Some of the ads by Skimlinks have been flagged by security software, so using it can also get your site flagged

A job well done Internet Brands.
sad.gif

So I just want to know... That XenForo.... Would never do this to their customers?!

(The quote is from a post I made on vBulletin's Support Site)

I don't see the point...You are not obliged to use the third-part services. :)
In my opinion, if Xenforo find a good third-part service and offer a trasparent integration/support, for me it's not a problem.

So, you don't want IB to use third party code to achieve something you personally do not want. And want XenForo limited to promise you they will never do that. But when you want a third party product because you feel you need it, it's ok if someone wants to include that for you.

It's all clear to me I think.

That said, if therefor Xenforo works for you - but vBulletin doesn't. Then I think you don't need to use vBulletin and you need to use XenForo. So the answer is there for your question as well I think.

Whatever choice you make, I wish you a great community.

As I understand it, they are mandatory plug ins that can be disabled by the forum owner, and at least the skimlinks one, was developed by skimlinks.

My question is how often is skimlinks going to update that plug-in for vbulletin? How will they handle security updates for it?

That's is a question you're best to ask their sales team, over at skimlinks

In their defense, and I don't know why I'm even bothering, but...

They do say it doesn't cost users anything extra. I doubt they're getting a cut of what you would normally get if you would sign up for the service yourself. I'm guessing they negotiated to receive a small percentage (in addition to your income) for customers they refer.

So are you saying that you support them making money off the popularity of your own forum? They are likely getting a percentage depending on how much traffic your forum makes them. You still make money, but they are also like I said also likely making a percentage on top of that.

They are essentially using your forum to make them money, even though you are also making money. They are essentially propping themselves up on the backbone of your forum.

Before this thread spirals out of control, the opening post was in relation to how XenForo plans to apporach this sort of thing.

For any questions relating to how vBulletin have implemented it, the discussion would be better off on their forum.

What vBulletin do really has no relevance at all to XenForo.

Ok, it's a occasion for profit. But when you (software house) annouce a official integration with a third part service, you are obliged to support it. For the software house is a system to earn a extra revenue, for the user it's a opportunity to have a official integration, more stable and secure. All are winners.

I'm rather perplexed by this reaction. Ignore the fact that it's vBulletin for a moment and consider a more abstract case.

If Forum Product X is well maintained, feature rich and continues to develop at a good pace, and then it integrates a product such as Skimlinks, which allows customers to quickly and easily generate income from their forums, that's a bad thing? :confused:

That would be a completely different story. Based on vb track record, they appear to be about monetizing themselves, not helping their customers monetizing their sites. It is just another sign of greed IMHO

I'm rather perplexed by this reaction. Ignore the fact that it's vBulletin for a moment and consider a more abstract case.

If Forum Product X is well maintained, feature rich and continues to develop at a good pace, and then it integrates a product such as Skimlinks, which allows customers to quickly and easily generate income from their forums, that's a bad thing? :confused:

Your point is valid. But the thing is kisses don't taste so sweet on open wounds... :) Hope you get what I am saying...

I dont think its bad, but the transparency customer were promised time in and time out would be a indicator that we as customers are still being lied to.. The simple fact that we payed for a something very different then we have would be another objection.. I can even see a marketing gimmick on the horizon.. Either way the problem here is simple vB has yet to deliver on the promises of 4.0.0

Thought you couldnt talk about vbulletin on xenforo anymore? or is that just on off topic? as he is quoting from patch 4.1.2

I think that I can say with confidence, I truly do not believe that you will ever have to worry about XenForo going in this direction.
vbulletin never did anything like this till later on in the years "who knows right?"

Thought you couldnt talk about vbulletin on xenforo anymore? or is that just on off topic? as he is quoting from patch 4.1.2
You can't start a thread or make a post 'bashing' vBulletin or expressing any dislike of it or negativity towards it. TheVisitor has a legit question regarding the direction of XenForo development.

EDIT: For the record, I feel we should be allowed to express freely what we think about any software. I think they need to realize that in the real world, negativity is everywhere and its unrealistic to expect everything to be 'perfect' here.

You can't start a thread or make a post 'bashing' vBulletin or expressing any dislike of it or negativity towards it. TheVisitor has a legit question regarding the direction of XenForo development.
Please tell me you will never... Do this....

Right

EDIT: For the record, I feel we should be allowed to express freely what we think about any software. I think they need to realize that in the real world, negativity is everywhere and its unrealistic to expect everything to be 'perfect' here.
Nice edit :) .agree

Kier, I think the problem is that Forum Product X is full of bugs not being fixed, is being devloped in the wrong direction, and yet integrates products rather than fixes it's core is the main complaint.

Top Bottom