Implemented Please put the Quote button back as a stand alone button in the editor toolbar

AndyB

Quoting text is a very often and important function in communicating on a forum. Placing the quote button under a drop down was a bad idea IMHO. Please put the Quote button back as a stand alone button which can be easily seen and clicked.

Thank you.

Please Like this post if you want to see this changed!

Last edited:
Upvote 64
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
An addon for XF2 would be great as it also seems to hide the quote button. Assuming it's easier to code such an addon for xf2. He did mention that it would be quite complicated for xf1.

Any news of this being resolved?

I am in the process of converting my vBulletin forum to Xenforo. It's a forum for writers, and we spend a lot of time discussing literature, writing techniques, etc. As you can imagine, the Quote button gets used a lot.

When we switch over to the new software, I can see this being an ongoing issue.

Last edited:
Just checked the demo and it is still inside a menu on the latest build. Not sure about whether the toolbar is now configurable.
On similar note... Control+K behavior for link (in new editor) also seems to be annoying to use as the focus does not seem to be in the text field. I really would love an editor that offers good powerful shortcuts to access the toolbar so that I do not have to use the mouse while writing a long post (without manually typing in bbcode of course). lol.

Any news of this being resolved?

I am in the process of converting my vBulletin forum to Xenforo. It's a forum for writers, and we spend a lot of time discussing literature, writing techniques, etc. As you can imagine, the Quote button gets used a lot.

When we switch over the new software, I can see this being an ongoing issue.

Just to clarify, the function is still there - you just need an extra step to reveal it, which is annoying. I've tried a few times to customize if for a Xenforo forum I run, without success.

Just checked the demo and it is still inside a menu on the latest build. Not sure about whether the toolbar is now configurable.
On similar note... Control+K behavior for link (in new editor) also seems to be annoying to use as the focus does not seem to be in the text field. I really would love an editor that offers good powerful shortcuts to access the toolbar so that I do not have to use the mouse while writing a long post (without manually typing in bbcode of course). lol.

Similarly, on my vBulletin 4 forums, I use Ctrl-b and Ctrl-i a lot for bold and italics. Neither of those keyboard shortcuts work on Xenforo, which is also annoying, especially if like me you're switching between vBulletin forums and Xenforo forums.

Is there any way to add that behavior to Xenforo 1.5?

bold italics and underline shortcuts work fine on xenforo. the new editor in xf2 (if you didn't know, you can check a live active install here: https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/) adds a few (?) more. i was waiting for control+k for linking but implementation seems weird for my personal use. would need to test more.

Testing on this forum in Firefox:

bold

italics

Works here on Firefox too. So it's something about the Xenforo forum I admin... I'll have to check that out.

right. bbcode is just plain text editor with no support for shortcuts or toolbar. i believe WordPress allows for shortcuts to work in text mode as well. XenForo text editor is just a simple text box :D

That wasn't a good idea. Then. And Now.

This was a good example of something that works for Xenforo LTD's Xenforo install and not other people's installs ... yet no option was ever given.

Xenforo should try to avoid the sort of customer relations mistakes made by vBulletin after IB.

Xenforo should try to avoid the sort of customer relations mistakes made by vBulletin after IB.
And they basically have.
:)

At least Xenforo LTD cares about Xenforo.
IB clearly doesnt care about vBulletin. At all. IB has their own private vB3 and that's all they think they need for now.

Top Bottom